Ultimate Subaru Message Board

repair manual for 87 gl

In order of excellence (or at least less suckage)...

Factory Service Manual: Most complete and accurate available. Not too hard to come by but not cheap either. You can usually find a set on ebay or from a board member for $50-$100 but usually closer to $50.

You can download the engine section of an 89 FSM, which is nearly identical to your car, from a website that I can't find the link to but somebody here must have. I could also email it to you in two sections if you want.

Chilton Manual: Nearly a tie with the Haynes manual, but I think the electrical section in the Chilton is better. Not nearly as much info as the FSM, but it covers most common procedures and is not expensive.

Haynes Manual: Pretty similar to the Chilton manual, the Haynes manuals cover fewer models in each book, which is good or bad depending on how you look at (you have to buy more books, but the content is more direct and less confusing). The wiring schematics are OK for basic repairs, but sorely lacking for stuff like EFI conversions (Even the Chilton schematics might get you by for that sort of thing).

Does anybody know if Bentley made a manual for the EA82 cars or if they stopped at the EA81?

Edit: How could I forget about How to Keep Your Subaru Alive?! FIND THIS BOOK! It is the most useful book I have ever purchased (much more useful than my college textbooks, that's for sure). It doesn't go into tremendous detail in many areas, but it explains tons of stuff really well and provides a lot of extra information about a variety of things (including how to resuscitate a lizard - I am not kidding about that either.)

• 3 weeks later...

Edit: How could I forget about How to Keep Your Subaru Alive?! FIND THIS BOOK! It is the most useful book I have ever purchased (much more useful than my college textbooks, that's for sure). It doesn't go into tremendous detail in many areas, but it explains tons of stuff really well and provides a lot of extra information about a variety of things (including how to resuscitate a lizard - I am not kidding about that either.)

Anyone know a better price than $98 used from Amazon? It appears to be out of print.

I've done simple stuff like replacing head gaskets and swapping engines with the $22 chiltons manual. :brow: Not real detailed at times, but I'm fairly comfortable ripping into an engine without a manual at all, so it suffices. And it does have okay wiring diagrams which is the part you usually can't wing.

Along with help from this forum, which is great when you get a little stuck.