Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission hitting something....

Sometimes when I shift, particularly from first to second, my tansmission will make a "clunk" noise as it seems to hit the frame. I just had a guy change the clutch ('84 GL Wagon FWD 1800 EA81) and there was nothing visibly wrong with the way it mounts that he can see. ???

I'd have someone look at the engine/tranny with the hood open, and the parking break on, as you alternately put it in 1st and reverse (not letting the clutch all the way out obviously), to see if the engine or tranny is shifting around as the torque changes. Certainly sounds like something's wrong with the mounts.

Zeke

May want to check the mount that holds the shifter assembly to the body, you have to get it from the bottom via the driveshaft tunnel. It's an often-neglected mount to tighten down, and having it loose will result in sounds like this as the shifter plate bumps against the body.

you can get a tube of "3M windo-weld" urethane, it comes in a caulk tube you can squirt it into the spaced around the rubber insert in the metal parts of the mount. worked pretty good on my sedan. give it a good 12 hour stretch to set up before driving

Where is this bolt by the shifter? See what it does is it clunks only when you are accelerating (just starting to let the clutch grab) in reverse or releasing the clutch when there will be reverse torque applied (i.e. When you shift from first to second, that moment when the road pushes against the engine compression when you take your foot off the gas in first). It's a dull clunk and it can be felt in the floor of the car though the shifter itself shows the extreme of normal movement when the problem occurs, it can not be felt in the shifte if you rest your hand on it when it happens. Maybe its more halfway between a clunk and a pop.