Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few questions on EA to EJ

Phizinza

I am surrusly thinking of doing a EJ conversion in my 89' Brumby. I have a few questions that i need to think over before going ahead and buying a engine/car for the conversion.

Can you fit the standard EJ20, 22, 25 exhaust pipe under the EA81 crossmember? (you use the EA81 crossmember with the EJ right?)

Can I use the EA81 flywheel and aftermarket clutch with the EJ, or do I have to use a EA82 set?

The EJ25 SOHC is the only EJ SOHC that doesn't fit straight in a MY brumby/brat right?

What needs changing to use the EJ gearbox?

Thanks a lot!

Crossmember: Austin did it somehow...may have had to cut a notch in the crossmember or bend the exhaust pipe to fit. My EA82 requires some clearancing to fit properly.

Flywheel: There should be no reason why you couldn't put the d/r 4 speed behind it. With either flywheel, you'll have to get it redrilled to match the EJ's bolt pattern. The reason most people use the EA82 flywheel is so they can put the d/r 5 speed in as well.

EJ25: I really don't know. Somebody on here surely does, or just get out your measuring tape:rolleyes: .

EJ tranny: The final drive ratio is most likely different, so you'd have to run the rear diff from the donor car as well. The transmission is not the same length, so you'd have to get your driveshaft customized. You can use either your driveshaft or the EJ's (just make up a mount for the carrier bearing). The front axles have a different spline count. It may be possible to take the cups off of either a Legacy or potentially an EA82T car, since they're both 25 spline instead of your current 23, and put them onto your axles. If that's not possible, you'd have to get custom axles made. Finally, you'll have to weld the EJ transmission mounts up to your transmission crossmember.

or just get out your measuring tape:rolleyes: .

I would but I don't know anyone with a EJ25. Could someone point me to a site wit the dimensions of the EJs? Or if you know, type 'em up here?

Thanks snowman, is there any other benefits from the 5 speed other then 5th gear? Also, when fitting the 5speed do I just use the inner cups of the 5speed and the rest of the 4speed shafts/outterCV? Is the propshaft (betweeen t

e gearbox and rear diff) the same on both 4/5speed boxes?

Your CV axles will mate up to the EA-series d/r 5 speed. The tranny is a different length than your existing one, so the driveshaft will have to be altered.

I think the ratios are a little closer on the 5 speed than the 4 speed, and I can't remember if the low range reduction is any different. Somebody here should know that, but I can look it up when I get home tonight if nobody's replied by then.

Here's a link to a post w/ the gearing for both trannies.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14547&page=2

I think the ratios are a little closer on the 5 speed than the 4 speed, and I can't remember if the low range reduction is any different. Somebody here should know that, but I can look it up when I get home tonight if nobody's replied by then.

okay, correct me if im wrong, but i was under the assumption that the EA81 cars have a narrower track than the EA82 or EJ cars do, which means that EA82 axles or EJ axles wont fit in there, also, if youre using the EJ tranny you need your drivshaft shortened i belive by 55mm, or lenghtened by 55mm, one of the two. the 4 speed D/R behind an EJ motor is a chance you'll have to take, but treat it nice and ease on the gas and you should be okay, try to keep the wheel spinning to a minimum. also, if you use the EJ tranny remember that, that tranny is geared for 24.7'' or so tires, not the tiny 22'' or so tires from an EA car, so youre gearing would be better for offroad crawling but bad for highway, but if you get a early 90's legacy tranny, you wont have to swap out your rear diff, same ratios. decide on what kind of mileage you put on your car for the most part. as far as how wide and will it fit on EA81 engine X-member, austin put an EJ into those cars, but it had like 1/2'' clearance from the frame rails, on both sides. i dont think the EJ25 is any wider than the EJ22 so it will fit, just with not much room.

~Josh~

Yes, the EA81 has shorter axles, so you'd have get custom ones made or if you can, swap the cups from the legacy or EA82T axles onto the EA81 axles.

Even though the EJ cars have larger tires, the top gear ratio is actually taller than in the EA82 and EA81, because the EJ engines have more torque and can handle taller gears.

There has been some debate about the strength of the d/r 4 speed vs d/r 5 speed. Some people have better luck with the 4, others with the 5. Does anybody know for sure which one is stronger?

Driving softly is a big ask for me :-/

Does anyone here know about the problem on EJ25 about head gasket? What engines/years have this problem?

Thanks for the info, I am now thinking of the 5speed box in there as well. Only problem there is my tyres are only rated at 120km/h (27" Kuhmo M/T's) so with a setup capable of 200km/h it might be hard to remember, any one know how to add a speed limiter ? LOL

I think I may be wrong with this... I remember someone telling me that there are 8 bolts on the gearbox on EJ Series therefor can't be fitted on EA engine.

The EJ Gearbox is different length (I think its longer) than EA Series.

Exhaust - can't help but Im sure it'll fit.

CVs - not sure..

Drive Tran - will need custom work.

Cheers

AP

I'd like to be the 21st :D But for now I have just another EA81 in good condition to go in. And maybe a gearbox swap too, just another 4sp manual. If I find a cheap EJ22 with AWD I'll do the swap.

If you want to do the EJ swap and keep a D/R tranny, I can sell you the adapter plate. Here's the thread with some info on my plates:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44936

I've shipped to Australia before. Takes 6 weeks or so. Not too expensive either.

• 11 years later...

No, you use an adaptor plate between the EJ engine and the EA box. 19mm from memory. The box position doesn't move, so the tailshaft length doesn't change (if you already have a 5-speed box it will either have a custom single piece tailshaft (longer than stock), or a two-piece tailshaft from an L-series (which is hopefully braced per the L-series).