Ultimate Subaru Message Board

questions questions need much info on engine swap!

eddygordouk

Well it has been secured, the 2001 ej25 is mine. I believe i have wiring diagrams from both the ea82t and ej25 but if anyone can direct me to perhapes the fsm of the ej25? I am confused about the crossmember, engine mounts an all bit where i have to fabricate and weld a bit. i need some light shone on this. The car im putting the engine in is a 89 RX manual and im wondering if i should switch out for a hydraulic clutch? also ill need to rebend the exhaust setup im guessing? i simply need all the help i can get on how to do this proper haha. Ive read quite a bit on the board but everything seems so simplified (no real detailed layouts of what was done). The planned date is thanksgiving and its study time so nuthing goes terribly wrong :grin:

is cable as effective as hydraulic? looks kinda iffy to me. i have been searchin around but its hard being an ej25 engine. everything is written so plain i dont know what the in depth details are. engine mounts need to be fabricated, crossmember needs modification okaay, but as in how so?

have you gotten the wiring harness from an EJ car yet, or are you planning to go stand alone or whatnot? the engine crossmember holes, need to be bored our 3/8'' or so uphill, you know what i mean right? ask away and do soem searching, many, many people have got this under their belts, but look for one by Subarino, his info will be very in depth.

~Josh~

if you are using an OBDII engine and harness, as the 2001 is, you will need a VSS or the vehicle will not run correctly, i'm not 100% sure but its either in the transmission that the engine came with, or its on the axle tied into the ABS. without the VSS the computer will go into limp home mode, and after about 10 miles you will have about half the horsepower.

if you are using an OBDII engine and harness, as the 2001 is, you will need a VSS or the vehicle will not run correctly, i'm not 100% sure but its either in the transmission that the engine came with, or its on the axle tied into the ABS. without the VSS the computer will go into limp home mode, and after about 10 miles you will have about half the horsepower.

hmm very interesting. then i need to find out where that vss is and also i will be using the wiring harness from the 2001 engine. is it still possible to run stock insrument panel (is that the easier way)? Would it be best to just find an ej tranny now or try to do the d/r one and try to pass the inspection in Cali?

If you're not too attached to your d/r tranny, it's really not much work to put the EJ tranny in. The VSS is also in the tranny, so you could avoid having to deal with that issue as well.

To run the EJ tranny, you need to get your driveshaft modified so it's the correct length, swap out the rear end for one with the same ratio as the new tranny, and weld the EJ tranny mounts to your tranny crossmember. Since your car has an EA82T in it, the front axles will mate right up. In case you wanted to know, the speedo cable should screw right into the EJ tranny.

thanks for the help Snowman. That solves a bit of headache. so ur implying i need to now find the rear lsd an all. i have to replace the back end axels also correct? so that the ratio matches up nicely. I wonder about getting the driveshaft resized? would it perhapes be weaker? should i just creat a new one? im wondering if i can still fit in aircon with the ej25 in my car, could it be done if it was rerouted? i think i need slimmer profile fans so wasnt sure. esp since i live in Cali haha. ive gone too long without aircon but if it cant be done, ill deal with it. im hoping to find the hard parts in the wiring prrocess so that it can be done without any thrown codes so it can pass. thanks for all the help and sorry for so many detailed questions.