Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, just a little heads up/review of a K&N drop in filter for my 03 LL Bean Outback H6. First off, the fit is not as good as stock but with some good 4 letter words it will go in. The lips of the filters seems a little stiff and the cover hard to get back on correctly but like I said, some patience and cuss words will git er done. Now, can I tell a difference for $45? A little bit. Its just a tad more responsive all over but nothing to get excited about. Is it worth the quadruple price tag? Depends on your wallet. I give it a 3 outa 5 rating.

Hey, just a little heads up/review of a K&N drop in filter for my 03 LL Bean Outback H6. First off, the fit is not as good as stock but with some good 4 letter words it will go in. The lips of the filters seems a little stiff and the cover hard to get back on correctly but like I said, some patience and cuss words will git er done. Now, can I tell a difference for $45? A little bit. Its just a tad more responsive all over but nothing to get excited about. Is it worth the quadruple price tag? Depends on your wallet. I give it a 3 outa 5 rating.

They are even better when you find them in the Boneyard, for 3 bucks..:)

I will say the one in my 93 Legacy was a little loose in the airbox. Same results..Not much difference if at all.

The ones in my Outbacks and Baja fit just fine, the one in the WRX is a loose fit. I think that the cars rev a little "freer" at the top end, otherwise I'm not sure if they're that much better. I never kept track of the gas mileage, so I don't have any data to compare that either.

after running a K&N on my street car and an OEM on my race car

i have learned....

OEM is much better for the car

BREATHES better and filters better

that oily rag collecting dust and grime isnt helping you much in the long run

OEM for me from now on :)

Jamie

OEM is much better for the car

BREATHES better and filters better

that oily rag collecting dust and grime isnt helping you much in the long run

OEM for me from now on

I have an interest in this because I thought that I was doing the right thing by installing K&N filters in all 4 of my cars......

This OEM/K&N debate has been going on for some time and I have yet to see a definitive answer as to whether or not there is a problem with K&N filters. Just by visually comparing the two, it seems obvious (at least to me) that the K&N is less restrictive to airflow than the OEM so should "breathe" better. How is an "oily rag collecting dust and grime" any worse than a dry paper filter collecting dust and grime, as long as it stays in the filter? Isn't that what a filter is for? I suppose that you can't go wrong with OEM, but has anyone documented engine failure or premature wear as a result of running a K&N filter?

This one will be argued long after we are all dead. Both sides have huge volumes of data proving they are right. Choose whichever makes you happy.

Personally, I used a K&N for over 250k in my recently totaled 1988 Saab 9000S. It used less than a half quart of oil between it’s annual oil changes (12-15k miles), didn't smoke ever and passed emissions tests every year without any preparation. This is a testament to Mobil 1, clean air coming in to the combustion chambers and those Swedes in Trollhatten assembling the engines.

Again, choose the one that lets you sleep at night. It doesn’t really matter that much in the real world. FYI - I do all of my own work on my cars. For me, I buy quality products that help reduce my maintenance costs and labor, without sacrificing MY perceived level of quality.

Jack