Ultimate Subaru Message Board

missfire/splutter when cold Legacy 1993

Before I start spending more money any views on what might be causing a general rough running, and spluttery low power when the engine is cold?

I'm hoping its just a case of bad spark leads but would welcome any opinions before I start buying parts that I dont need (again) :)

its a EJ20, legacy, 1993 UK model.

thanks for any advice.

It's the most likely part.

If you do decide/need to replace plugs I would recommend NGK, model BKR6E-11

thanks for advice.

noticed today that the power loss when cold is complete not just bad running, in order to get any power back I have to take my foot off the gas and then re-apply some gas SLOWLY and gently to get it to build up -all-be-it in a spluttery way, still sound like a coolant sensor?

Guess I'll probably replace it anyway and see what difference it makes.

Isnt it possible to test the sender with a multimeter?

Thinkning back to my EA82T motor it had 2 water temp senders, one for the dash and one for the ECU.

Can someone tell me where the ECU's coolant temp sender is on the EJ20? I can see one sensor on the intake manifold -looks like a waterway -almost directly in front of you facing the engine slightly to the Left placed facing straight down towards the ground.