Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 gl Wagon

I guess I should have known I would wind up in here again. :)

My brother owns an 87 suburu wagon that I have frequently worked on. Most recently he took a small side trip to Niagara falls and on the way back it seemed he lost the wheel bearing on the front driver side...

I was prepared to pull the part of the chasis that houses the bearing's on that side of the car but we got a some what confusing but welcome suprise. The bearing , while it does show some marginal wear...was fine... What happened was that the nut at the end of the axle has stripped and when he hit a bump it was loosing threads.... But while my brother found it extremely disconcerting and not a little scarey... the cotter pin stopped the outter hub (not sure if this is right) and the entire wheel from flying off.

We have been able to order the new nut from our local suburu dealer for just over 6$ and he will get it on friday.... For the time being i was able to repack the original bearing.... well at least part way... and put a slightly thicker washer on the inside of the nut and snugged it up enough so that the new cotter pin would block the bad nut from going out as bad as before. With the caution that if the wheeler seems to be loose he should call me and I will see what I can do.. until the new nut arrives. Not a perfect solution as a cotter pin is only supposed to stop the nut from spinning.... but this extra thick cotter pin should hold for a few days.

The threads on the outer part of the CV shart look like new... I guess the nut is really soft... By design I guess.

I have changed several CV shafts over the years and this is the first time Ive ever seen an Axle nut strip like this... what Im wondering... is this common to subaru's and has this happened to you before?

Thanks

Robert

I guess I should have known I would wind up in here again. :)

My brother owns an 87 suburu wagon that I have frequently worked on. Most recently he took a small side trip to Niagara falls and on the way back it seemed he lost the wheel bearing on the front driver side...

I was prepared to pull the part of the chasis that houses the bearing's on that side of the car but we got a some what confusing but welcome suprise. The bearing , while it does show some marginal wear...was fine... What happened was that the nut at the end of the axle has stripped and when he hit a bump it was loosing threads.... But while my brother found it extremely disconcerting and not a little scarey... the cotter pin stopped the outter hub (not sure if this is right) and the entire wheel from flying off.

We have been able to order the new nut from our local suburu dealer for just over 6$ and he will get it on friday.... For the time being i was able to repack the original bearing.... well at least part way... and put a slightly thicker washer on the inside of the nut and snugged it up enough so that the new cotter pin would block the bad nut from going out as bad as before. With the caution that if the wheeler seems to be loose he should call me and I will see what I can do.. until the new nut arrives. Not a perfect solution as a cotter pin is only supposed to stop the nut from spinning.... but this extra thick cotter pin should hold for a few days.

The threads on the outer part of the CV shart look like new... I guess the nut is really soft... By design I guess.

I have changed several CV shafts over the years and this is the first time Ive ever seen an Axle nut strip like this... what Im wondering... is this common to subaru's and has this happened to you before?

Thanks

Robert

If the nut stripped the threads then there is very little holding it on, and that will easily strip more or completely. Without threads the cotter pin would be the only thing holding the wheel on (well maybe the pad carriers for the breaks), and that has to deal the extra thick washer's extra pressure against the cotter pin and any bumps will really load on the pressure.

You better make a phone call. NOW!!

the nut should have a cone washer and a flat washer. the cone washer centers into the hub and the flat washer holds the torque of the nut. the flat washer is very important becuse it is slightly convex, the convex side faces the nut

the wheel will not come off because the caliper bracket will hold the rotor in place from moving outward.

i would very well and highly suggest you find the proper subaru washers for the axle nut, or you will continue to have the same problem, or have the same problem withthe proper washer installed bakward

Ok... taken under advisment....

I cant say for sure if the original washer is even a subaru washer... Il have to get a closer look at it.... As I understand it.... but i am by no means sure... the washer should curve slight out from the wheel at its outer edges? I should be able to see this if I set it on a flat surface?

Thanks for the info.

Robert

Ok... taken under advisment....

I cant say for sure if the original washer is even a subaru washer... Il have to get a closer look at it.... As I understand it.... but i am by no means sure... the washer should curve slight out from the wheel at its outer edges? I should be able to see this if I set it on a flat surface?

Thanks for the info.

Robert

No, I think it should curve towards the wheel at the outer edges, at least if MilesFox's description the convex side towards the nut is correct.

BTW, I've never seen an axle nut strip like that. Hubs yes, and nuts come loose, but threads stripped? Well, there's always a first.

No, I think it should curve towards the wheel at the outer edges, at least if MilesFox's description the convex side towards the nut is correct.

BTW, I've never seen an axle nut strip like that. Hubs yes, and nuts come loose, but threads stripped? Well, there's always a first.

Thanks.... IL check the washer and make sure its subaru.... Wasnt sure what convex was in terms of washers.... but this helps.

I did call my brother early this am and explained exactly what was said in here. He says fo far no problem.. but is going to be very carefull and only local driving.. as he does have to get to work.... if I hadnt done this he would still be driving it..even as bad as it was. that is.... the nut all the way out to the cotter pin.

This was a definate first for me... I have been changing CV shafts for years and never had this happen... though to be sure.. there were signs that I thought were just the bearing going...

The threads arent totaly gone... they look a bit flat but it still spins on and seems to hold... the new cotter pin trys to keep the nut from comming loose enough to break the pin.

Understand... this is far from an optimal solution.... but this has got to be safer then having the nut run out all the way to the cotter pin and have the wheel rock 3 degree's to either side. might even be more then 3 degree's.. it was hitting the inner fender on a turn.

I learned something in here.... and I will be putting that knowlage to use as soon as we get the new nut. 3 days

Thanks

Robert

The wheel seems to be working ok... but my brother says it feels harder to turn... I think he may have either banged it out of alignment or slipped a tread... I have to go over it really good on friday... as he plans to drive about 300 miles up and back to niagara falls. Sadly he recently lost two friends in a nasty wreck... I think he intends to throw some flowers into the falls... basicly there is just no way he cant go. And yeah... this worries me too.

Maybe the proper washer will solve this issue.

This car has had a problem where either the power steering pump jams or the rack... but it has been a non issue for a long time.... maybe its rearing its ugly head again.

Thanks

Robert

• 3 months later...