Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission bad; change with...

Urabus-84HBDR

My hatchs trans 3rd gear is toast. My plan is to take my parts wagons 4s/d/r and put it in the hatch. Are the trans the same lenght? I know if I 5s it, I'd have to shorten the driveline; no money for that yet- Gonna do the easy swap into my wagon. Will the mounts and all that line up? The hatch is an 84 4s/d/r, the parts wagon is an 83 4s/d/r both 1800. Any other suggestions or complications you may know about would help me. I've already pulled the motor so asap, thanx Ill update too.

The 4-spd D/R trans are the same. May be a difference in the electrical connections, but I'm not sure on that.

FYI... The front seats, center console, and everything from the steering wheel forward will fit from the Wagon to the Hatch. About the only difference I know of would be the headlights, single or dual. The rear diff and axles will swap also, thinking the whole set-up back there would fit, really.

well got the 'new' old trans in today, rain/snow prevented me from finishing it up, yeah no shop to work in :( soon. the wires/plug are the same, along with everything else! Sweet cant wait to drive it again! Got some free parts today; two rims/tires, burly rack, cool toggle, and a motor if I wnat it, but the score a 5 speed d/r and all the parts for it. thats for my wagon though. chrome stock bumper, rear custom steel plate bumper with hitch, for the hatch.