Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goodbye old friend

A very hard thing to do today....

After owning it since fall of 1997, I had to put my 87 (yes the flowmastered one) to death.... We took it to the steel scrapper today after taking off all the useful items of value. I purchased her with 215,850 or so miles in high school. The timing belts broke 2 weeks later. Ok fixed it. Found out the engine was bad. Changed it with a JDM block. All is fine, but the hitachi carb never worked quite right. Changed it to a weber. All along the car was continuously getting modded for performance.

Fun car. Got my through MANY seasons of rallycross, 1.5 years of delivering pizza (which I left in July), High school and 6 years of college, and WCSS3,5 and 6.

She died with 321,7XX or so miles (the guages are in the garage, I'd have to check) and a Totaled / Reconstructed title, something wrong in the engine, shot suspension, no carpet, some wiring issues....

Still though... it was hard to see the wrecker guy put the forklift through the window :dead:

9 years I had that car. Yes I love my baja, but I still miss that car. I need to pour a 40 on the curb for it :drunk:

A very hard thing to do today....

After owning it since fall of 1997, I had to put my 87 (yes the flowmastered one) to death.... We took it to the steel scrapper today after taking off all the useful items of value. I purchased her with 215,850 or so miles in high school. The timing belts broke 2 weeks later. Ok fixed it. Found out the engine was bad. Changed it with a JDM block. All is fine, but the hitachi carb never worked quite right. Changed it to a weber. All along the car was continuously getting modded for performance.

Fun car. Got my through MANY seasons of rallycross, 1.5 years of delivering pizza (which I left in July), High school and 6 years of college, and WCSS3,5 and 6.

She died with 321,7XX or so miles (the guages are in the garage, I'd have to check) and a Totaled / Reconstructed title, something wrong in the engine, shot suspension, no carpet, some wiring issues....

Still though... it was hard to see the wrecker guy put the forklift through the window :dead:

9 years I had that car. Yes I love my baja, but I still miss that car. I need to pour a 40 on the curb for it :drunk:

hey man we all mourn with you! may you suby live on in other subies. :headbang: and your sig. you mean 10/24/05 not 10/24/06. just a note. :)

It's always sad to see them go, but Subarus never really die...parts of them live on in other Subarus.

I don't even want to think about letting my beloved Roxy go. She's NEVER getting sold. Until the body completely rusts away or gets smashed beyond repair, I'll swap in other engines, transmissions, axles, subframes, etc. After that, every part that can come off will be removed and stored for later use in other cars.

It's always sad to see them go, but Subarus never really die...parts of them live on in other Subarus.

I don't even want to think about letting my beloved Roxy go. She's NEVER getting sold. Until the body completely rusts away or gets smashed beyond repair, I'll swap in other engines, transmissions, axles, subframes, etc. After that, every part that can come off will be removed and stored for later use in other cars.

It sometimes takes a couple Subarus to figure out when you've got something good going.

I would never have given up either my old XT or my '82 GL wagon had I known what they would mean to me... so I know, at least in retrospect, what you are going through. And I'll pour a 40 for ya too, homes.

Farewell to the '87..we met at WCSS 3 where I rode shotgun in her briefly on the trails and in the rallycross there, she was named the "antenna award" winner. Again a brief ride at WCSS 6.

Mike, in honor of the '87 (besides a toast), I'll keep my rig alive to at least the same mileage, I'm at 295,000 now.

Farewell, old friend:drunk: .

I feel sorry for your loss.I agree with Ever Victorious...I sometimes wish I never got rid of some of my others..my Justy went to the scrapper and wehen I look at the pictures I kick myself..it had NO rust just some dents and a bad motor.I will be a basket case when my beloved Buckys time comes but he will live on in another Subaru.

Maybe we need to start a rememberence page.

We took the Outback out there about an hour and a half later, and it was sitting on top of the vehicles waiting its turn......

It has already helped a few cars, we took a fuel line off of it a month ago, Mike sold a few things, and hopefully the front clip will help a wrecked vehicle. There was very few good things left, maybe a couple of doors, but there was not storage room for them.

*plays "taps" off key*

I hope you at eleast saved that big arse antenna! Oh yeah, adn I need that tail light. Stick what will fit in that box Shannon is sending us and I'll send ya some cashola when I get some. And I'll go buy a 40 of PBR and pour it out in honor of da wagon (But I'll be pouring it out down my throat :-P)