Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hand throttle?

Awhile ago I posted about aftermarket cruise control for an '87 GL wagon... someone mentioned the idea of just 'poor man-ing' it with a vernier dash mounted throttle. It got me to Googling and I found that it is popular to add a hand throttle made from bicycle shifter parts to Jeeps.

Here's a pic:

<http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/JeepPics/Hand-Throttle-1.jpg>

This looks like it might be useful Soobie mod.

Tracy

Austin had to use some pink string that I had in the back of my dad's forester as a hand throttle because the throttle cable broke, it was hillarious.

I'd worry about the safety of a throttle that sticks, if you push the clutch you could over rev, and if you don't get it to disengage you run the risk of backing into somthing.

maybe a bike brake that dosn't lock. I'd be cool if you get it to work, let us know

DSCN1977.jpg

DSCN1978.jpg

Huzzah for the pink string

I have made many a hand thr. in my time:) I like a bike brake lever the best. U can find 'em with a set screw in the front, and U can use that to set the idle if U want. I made little blocks to put in mine that would hold the engine to a certen idle speed when I'm runnin' the compessor or welder.

How do you run a compressor/welder off your Subaru? Big inverter? Or a generator unit installed on the engine?

I'm thinking about making a "high idle" switch that would do a similar thing, hold 3k RPM or so for helping jump start cars & such.

-=Russ=-

How do you run a compressor/welder off your Subaru? Big inverter? Or a generator unit installed on the engine?

I'm thinking about making a "high idle" switch that would do a similar thing, hold 3k RPM or so for helping jump start cars & such.

-=Russ=-

Yeah. I'm interested in how you plan on doing the welder. I was just going to hook a cheap 2kW inverter to my little work truck to run the wirefeed welder. I know that jeep people put in a separate generator, but they've got a bit more room in the engine compartment for extra accessories.

Well.... My curent welder runs off of 1, 2, or 3 car batt.s it's caled a "Readywelder" and it's a wire-feed welder. It works GREAT! My old welder was made out of a GM 87A alternator, it was a stick welder, hi freq. and it worked good to. I just prefer the wire-feed. U can find instructions on how to make the alt. style all over the web. Just google "homemade welder" or "onboard welder" there are some places that make them too, "Premiear Power Welder" is 1 (not sure on that spellin':-p) and "Zena" is another. I beleave that "Mobiarc" is the cheepest.

Well.... My curent welder runs off of 1, 2, or 3 car batt.s it's caled a "Readywelder" and it's a wire-feed welder. It works GREAT! My old welder was made out of a GM 87A alternator, it was a stick welder, hi freq. and it worked good to. I just prefer the wire-feed. U can find instructions on how to make the alt. style all over the web. Just google "homemade welder" or "onboard welder" there are some places that make them too, "Premiear Power Welder" is 1 (not sure on that spellin':-p) and "Zena" is another. I beleave that "Mobiarc" is the cheepest.

Thanks. I might check out the readywelder. I like the wire feed more than the stick for quick jobs, although I can get a nice looking weld with the stick because it doesn't splatter so much.

Zeke

Yeah, I know what U mean about the splater:-\

As for the air comp., I thought EVERYONE knew how to do that by now:rolleyes:

U just convert an AC comp. to use for air. Take off the hoses, put a filter on the intake side, put a T fiting on the output side, run 1 line to a standerd compressor switch, put a quick conect on the other line, run a wire from the switch to the + for the comp. and run a switched + wire into the switch. BLAMO! OBA! It is fast enough to run air tools, air up tires, ect.

Yeah, I know what U mean about the splater:-\

As for the air comp., I thought EVERYONE knew how to do that by now:rolleyes:

U just convert an AC comp. to use for air. Take off the hoses, put a filter on the intake side, put a T fiting on the output side, run 1 line to a standerd compressor switch, put a quick conect on the other line, run a wire from the switch to the + for the comp. and run a switched + wire into the switch. BLAMO! OBA! It is fast enough to run air tools, air up tires, ect.

A friend of mine had that set up on his Jeep XJ and he could fill his 35s pretty quickly.

That looks awesome! Does it hold the throttle in a set position, or do you have to keep pressure on it?

I give that mod 1000 Voodoo Engineering points:lol: .

Bike shifter levers have an index or a friction mode. In the friction mode you haven infinate variability and a small thumb screw on the side to set just the right amount of friction to hold the throttle at the desired position.

It would mount nicely on the 4WD/dual-range lever. I'd find it handy while heading down the road to put it at just the right spot and 'Voila'... cruise. Also handy when you are double footing it on a steep hill. The hill holder in my car works fine at a steep intersection in town but isn't a perfect solution in most off-road situations.

I'm alternately considering a dash mounted throttle knob like the one in my old Landcruiser.

Either way, I'll post results.

Tracy

NAPA sells a "push pull" throttle controll that is TRICK! It's a black knob, with a red button in the center, push in on the button and U can pull/push the throttle to where ever U need, or U can turn the knob and it's a screw adjustment to where ever U need it. VERRY COOL! It comes with about 6ft of cable and 2 or 3 different ends U can put on it @ the carb end.

Is it that hard to add an aftermarket cruise control to these cars? How many of them came with cruise from the factory?

Has anyone checked to see if non-cruise cars have all the hookups needed? I know my 88 GL sans CC has a plug in the engine compartment near where the vacuum pump is on my 85 t-wagon; no idea if it's related to the vacuum pump though. I just know that it most cases the harness/computer will have all the hookups needed, but the actual cruise control 'stuff' isn't there.

I'd really like some sort of cruise control since most of my trips are around 4 hours long

I may have to look into this more...

NAPA sells a "push pull" throttle controll that is TRICK! It's a black knob, with a red button in the center, push in on the button and U can pull/push the throttle to where ever U need, or U can turn the knob and it's a screw adjustment to where ever U need it. VERRY COOL! It comes with about 6ft of cable and 2 or 3 different ends U can put on it @ the carb end.

That sounds like the ticket. I'll have to swing by NAPA tonight and see if one is in stock.

Tracy