Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ into EA questions

DaveT

Hi,

I know this isn't why anyone swapps out an EA for an EJ, but how does this effect MPG? Obviously, if you use all that power, it will use more fuel, but if you don't *always* use all of the power?

Since the EJ turns below 3000 at 65, and the EA is right around 4000..

If I were to use the tranny that goes with an EJ, that would match better, but now the wheels are "too small".. Or maybe an XT6 tranny or touring tranny, since they have an overdrive gear? (I prefer to use AT transmissions)

How much more does a Legacy weigh more than a Loyale? -In other words, does makeing this kind of mod get you more acceleration than a sock Legacy?

Thank you,

Dave

It would get you better acceleration than the stock legacy, if you had AWD, but in FWD, its hard to put the power down.

As far as MPG, with oversized tires, i'm getting 25-26 mpg pretty consistantly.

Someone put the whole legacy AWD AT drivetrain under an EA-81 wagon, that way he can run legacy wheels, ran really well too.

well as far as top speed, heck no, not better than a legacy, but off the line speed is better, like noah said, its hard to get the power to the asphalt with all that wheelspin. on my way up to shelton, WA for the WCSS7 i got about 420 miles on one tank before fill up, highway miles, but with stock tires, and i still had a gallon left in the tank. but for offroading, the low end torque is very helpful. to go 65 in my 86 wagon is at 3k rpms, but i dont use much throttle to stay there, thats where you get your good mileage from. but if you are really concerned, throw an EJ18 in there instead of a EJ22, best of both worlds so to speak.

~Josh~