Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So sedans ARE lighter!

WJM

by 2 lbs.

1986 RX sedan, 2546.

1987 RX Coupe, 2548. (before ballast was added to bring it to 2600 class min)

JWX's new RX Coupe, 2565 w/spare and some misc stuff.

JWX's sedan was full tank of gas, no spare and otherwise in autox trim.

My Coupe was full tank of gas, in autox trim.

Both cars had ZERO lighening mods.

So, looks like i need a sedan...for the less two pounds! :drunk:

by 2 lbs.

1986 RX sedan, 2546.

1987 RX Coupe, 2548. (before ballast was added to bring it to 2600 class min)

JWX's new RX Coupe, 2565 w/spare and some misc stuff.

JWX's sedan was full tank of gas, no spare and otherwise in autox trim.

My Coupe was full tank of gas, in autox trim.

Both cars had ZERO lighening mods.

So, looks like i need a sedan...for the less two pounds! :drunk:

HAH my car is lighter than yours :)

I don't know, I'd say that that big rear window in the coupe contributes a lot of structural rigidity... glass flexes much less than metal does.

I also spent 6 years learning everything I could about 64-66 Barracudas, which are the undisputed king of big rear windowedness (and they handle great for old bricks :D ).

it's not just the lighter that is the key to sedans.

The sedans have much more structural regitity in the rear end

I also spent 6 years learning everything I could about 64-66 Barracudas, which are the undisputed king of big rear windowedness (and they handle great for old bricks :D ).

64-66 A-bodies for teh win!

(I spent a few years playing with a bunch of different 64-66 Darts and valiants)

I don't know, I'd say that that big rear window in the coupe contributes a lot of structural rigidity... glass flexes much less than metal does.

Think about it this way, the coupe has the big ole hole where the hatch goes. We can consider the hood/front fenders as one box, the cabin as another box and (on the sedan at least) the trunk as another box. That big hole in the coupe is cutting the top (trunk) and back (cabin) of two of the boxes off. This actually hurts overall structural integridy. Had a long talk about this with my prof in our auto program.

eh, simply creat a rear strut bar that can go across the hatch part and boom, ur good to go with rigidity. or at least thats what id want to do. maybe do it like a triangle where trut goes to either side and then two beams go down from each side and meet at the floor like:

__

\ /

eh, simply creat a rear strut bar that can go across the hatch part and boom, ur good to go with rigidity. or at least thats what id want to do. maybe do it like a triangle where trut goes to either side and then two beams go down from each side and meet at the floor like:

__

\ /

no strut bar will equal the mount of structure the sedans have in the rear.

there's a pile of metal back there with the trunk, parcel shelf, c-pillars.

However...none of you guys really do what i do with them...

untitled.jpg

no strut bar will equal the mount of structure the sedans have in the rear.

there's a pile of metal back there with the trunk, parcel shelf, c-pillars.

However...none of you guys really do what i do with them...

untitled.jpg

How come you arent answering your PM's I sent ya or the email?

That makes sence to me. I don't think they could reinforce that big of an opening enough to make it mach the sed. for strength. All the old ralley cars I have seen have been sed. not coupes.
Here is a picture of the 87 Subaru Rally team, see any sedan in the picture???

020615_rx_rally_squad_1987.jpg

Here is what the 86 FSM says about the weights.

RX Sedan USA model 2,520 pounds

3DR 4WD Turbo (pre RX) 2,545 pounds

I had one of these 3drs, mine actually had a VIN that worked out to be a RX, they had everything the Sedan RX had in them.

Virtually every coupe version of the sedan has been heavier. Most of the Impreza coupes weigh about 150lbs more than the sedans do (almost as much as the wagon does) probably due to the added structure needed when taking a design and converting it to another application.

Virtually every coupe version of the sedan has been heavier. Most of the Impreza coupes weigh about 150lbs more than the sedans do (almost as much as the wagon does) probably due to the added structure needed when taking a design and converting it to another application.

Actually the GC8 2.5RS sedan was only 5lbs heavier than the coupe. My source is Sport Compact Car magazine.