Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY 86 GL WONT START

Guest NORFOLKCORNROWS

Guest NORFOLKCORNROWS

OK HERES THE 411, RECENTLY I WAS DRIVING MY 86 GL NA, AND IT JUST CUT OFF I TRIED TO START IT BACK UP BUT NO LUCK......SO I PUSHED IT HOME AND POPPED THE HOOD....I DIDNT SEE ANYTHING WRONG, BUT IT WAS ABOUT TIME FOR A TUNE UP...SO I BOUGHT NEW PLUGS AND CHANGED THE OIL BUT IT STILL WONT TURN OVER...NEXT MY DAD TOLD ME THAT IT WAS MY IGNITION COIL, SO I BOUGHT A NEW ONE... AND NO LUCK, NOW IM TO THE POINT I HAVE NO IDEA WHATS WRONG WITH MY CAR.....CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT THERE:evil:

Guest baccaruda

there is a little black box next to the coolant overflow tank. the box has the 4 main fusible links for your car. one of them burning out could cause this problem and it's the cheapest fix it could be. start there if you like and good luck.

also, all capitals is harder to read and has been known to cause people to skip reading a post entirely.. ;)

Guest NORFOLKCORNROWS

<span style="color:red;"><strong>im sorry its just a bad habit i guess, but im trying to get all the possible things that could be wrong so are there any other ideas, i had some of those wires i pulled out of another sabaru and that didnt work, maybe there blown tho</strong></span>

Guest GlCraigGT

It sounds like you have a broken timming belt. Pop off the distributor cap and have someone crank the engine over. If the rotor dose not turn, you have a broken belt.

Guest moosens

YEAH,WHAT HE SAID......check the timing belts,here's how:

On the plastic covers at the front of your motor you'll see 2 little rubber covers.The passenger side is easy to see.The driver's side is kind of under the crank fan,best seen and inspected from below.

Don't bother trying to turn it over.Do this stationary without anyone starting it,etc or you may loose a finger...ouch.

Take those covers off,start with the driver's side.Put you finger in there and see if the belt has tension or is just flopping around by pressing it with your finger.Even if tension you may have slippage so feel the teeth of the belt if you do feel it's got tension still.Most likely its the driver's side and it's broken.

Let us know if that's the case and we'll tell you all the things you should do when doing belts.

Guest bbbs53

Hi, ok, lets go through the drill. The suggestion to check if the rotor in the disty is turning is an excellent one. If it is, then next we need to determine if you have spark. This can be accomplished in the following manner. Pull a plug wire, usually number 1. put a paperclip or other metal object into the end or use a spare plug, ground the plug or hold the clip close to a grounded surface and have someone crank over the engine. Got spark? If not, you have an ignition or fusible link problem. or even an ignition switch. If you have spark, it is time to check fuel delivery. Fuel pumps have quit in mid stroke, but not very often. Check filters, more likely, but maybe not. Should have good fuel by removing hose from carb and cranking. Next is compression. Hope like heck, that you haven't made it this far. Probably not, because this is usually a slow problem and not all at once. 3 things to make her go, spark, fuel, compression. It has to be one and I am with the moose, check the timing belts, Bradd

Guest EmmCeeBee

Both times my 88 GL died on me, it was easy to diagnose -- hope you have the same luck.

Second time, it was a broken timing belt, just like the guys are suggesting....

But first time, it was a dead fuel pump. Are you getting fuel pressure? If you're adventurous (and careful!) you can disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter and turn on the key -- if the pump is working you'll know. (Be prepared to catch raw fuel, and don't do this in your garage near the water heater pilot light!!!!)

-- Mark

Guest GlCraigGT

First lets make sure which engine you have. if the distributor is on the back left corner by the master cylinder you have the ea82 which has timing belts. if the distributor is on the front kinda between the crank pulley and intake manifold; you have either the ea81 or ea71 which dose not have timing belts.

if you have the ea82 the timing belts are located behind some black plastic covers on the front of the engine.

Guest oobnuker

Everybody: is an '86 GL an EA82?

If the motor has "EA82" stamped on it somewhere on the top or on the bellhousing for the transmission then the timing belts are right in front of the motor underneath black plastic covers. If you are looking down ontop of the motor from front to back, you should see the radiator, the mechanical fan, then you should see a monstrous black plastic cover that goes across the entire front of the engine. The inspection holes are in the front of that cover and can be popped out with a flathead screwdriver.

The distributor should be pretty easy to spot - as it is where all the spark plug wires go...That cap comes off with two screws - take your time with these screws as they like to strip - either the head of the screw strips out, or the threads in the distributor body strip. Pop the cap off and you will see the "rotor". Swing the cap and wires (do not disconnect them) out of the way and have someone turn the motor over, if the rotor turns, then at least we know that the driver's side belt is OK. If the rotor does not turn, check it for tightness - a common thing is for the screw that holds the rotor onto the distributor shaft to come loose and fall off. If the rotor just pops off in your hand or spins freely, then look for the screw - it will probably be in the top of the distributor just hanging around...That rotor needs to be tightened down to the distributor shaft securely or your motor will never run.

This has caused me a no-start problem several times. I eventually had to replace my distributor although I think you could just re-tap threads and use a different screw.