Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RADIO MEMORY & CD-PLAYER FAILURE

Hello! I am new here so bear with me please....

About a week ago the memory in my stereo (clock and station memory) failed, along with power in my 6-CD player which lives under the passenger seat. The fuses are intact. The radio has power; but, everytime I shut the engine off it loses all memory. The CD player acts as if it has no power, but my mechanic says there is power going right up to the box - he couldn't find a fuse at the player. The mystery is that these 2 events happened the exact same time.

This is a 97 Subaru Outback wagon, 4 cyl. The stereo & CD-player are original "Subaru", not after-market. A call to the service dept. was completely unhelpful.

Appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Is there a way of separating power from the cd and the radio? Can you power the radio independent of the cd unit?

Yes just take them apart when you yank them out. They are seperate units. For the cost of postage i even think i have a the filler pocket that goes in the place of the cd unit :)

nipper

Okay, thanks for trying to help, but I think you all forgot that the CD player is the kind that lives under the passenger seat. It is not connected to the stereo in the dash.

The stereo HAS POWER. It runs - just cannot sustain any memory functions - which is ragingly annoying to say the least. Perhaps you are right, the stereo is dying....? As for the CD player..... must I hold a double funeral?

Perhaps they were both programmed to self-destruct on the same day at the same time. [pout].

PS: sorry it took me so long to get back here, I was having server trouble.

OK, back to my first suggestion. Can you separate the power from the CD and the radio? It seems that would eliminate a variable. I don't have this type setup (underseat) but apparently under normal conditions, you turn on the radio and it also powers up the cd player. I don't know where the power goes first though. Unlikely they both died at the same time.

It appears that the radio/cd is losing power completely when you turn the car off, akin to disconnecting the battery. Has anything been done recently to the electrical system of the car? Just musing but perhaps a transistor head on the board can say if there is a component of the audio system that retains a small current to maintain the presets and the instant on function of the radio/cd.

Okay, thanks for trying to help, but I think you all forgot that the CD player is the kind that lives under the passenger seat. It is not connected to the stereo in the dash.

The stereo HAS POWER. It runs - just cannot sustain any memory functions - which is ragingly annoying to say the least. Perhaps you are right, the stereo is dying....? As for the CD player..... must I hold a double funeral?

Perhaps they were both programmed to self-destruct on the same day at the same time. [pout].

PS: sorry it took me so long to get back here, I was having server trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, ummm, it is pine-needle burning season here... and I live near a lake.... perfect for the viking style send-off! LOL

oh its under the seat...... :(

i think something in a nice viking funeral will do .... flames always good. Best to just go on ebay or replace it with an aftermarket one.

nipper

mmmm you're not the only boat there, I have the same problem with this Clarion PF1519A Radio, it does reset if the ignition is off over night, radio resets itself, looses clock memory, stations etc. I do not have CD player, I sourced another radio its also Clarion but from earlier model, doesn't loose memory.

Its got nothing to do with the car, I believe its the radio itself that has some sort of backup memory to preserve the memory contents that is failing.

Cheers

AP

It seems to me, there is a seperate (permanent) power supply that keeps the memory & the time. that wire would appear to be shorted out. If the cd player is external the power to it may be the same source... I once lost a stereo because the seat track ran over a wire (the seat was being readjusted).

Try to locate that wire or fuse.

later,

Peter