Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Carb to SPFI Swap..few problems but happy

DrKrazy

Okay got it all swapped into "Project Cheap" today, went extremely well and easy. My wiring harness seems to be perfect the first time! But ran into a few problems.

1. What is the damn little metal tube that runs from the intake manifold to the passenger side head for? Gotta rig something up there I guess, just blocked off atm. Mangaled the one off my donor car, and the carb one won't work.

2. What did you guys do to block off the air or whatever tubes running to the exhuast ports?

3. Only idling at 400 rpms..haven't gone through and reset it, but idled perfect on donor car. Might have my donor distributor off a tooth since when I went to time it I couldn't even see the scale at all on the flywheel. Maybe that's my problem.

4. Is smoking somewhat with revving of the engine, no sweet smell like coolant (hopefully that means it's not the new intake gaskets), just grey smoke (I think was getting dark out). Again maybe that's all timing being off...or? Car didn't ever smoke even with a bad carb.

5. Only getting a code 45 out of the computer which is the kickdown code, anyone know a way I can ground/power a certain wire(s) to get that to go away? If not no big deal, will just unhook my 2nd check engine light.

All donor parts came from a 2wd and that shouldn't affect anything right? Wonderful thing was it started right up, and was even holding it's idle at 400 rpm. Got late and dark so I quit for night, but was surpised to get that far in one day. Thanks Snowman for that wonderful guide , couldn't of done it without it. Now to just get fixes for these few problems so I can take it for a drive.

What was causing the smoking? I'm curious about that.

Still smoking just a tad, more I drive it more it seems to clear up...so you were probably right yesterday about it just being junk burning off. Also cleaned the heck out of the TB today and didn't see it smoking at all after that. If it was it's not enough for me to be concerned about it anymore.

Think I might have a problem with IAC still, idling alittle low most of the time even after I adjust it. Will track that down later..taking the rest of the day off from the car. My brother's guess is that it's burning off the carbon build up from the jacked up carb, and now that's it's running a ton better with the EFI that it will clear up after I put miles on it.

So it's okay to plug the EGR pipe? This car will never have to pass emissions or anything, and seems to be running fine without the tube. If so I could use two of those plugs, one for the head, one for the manifold.

Also BIG news: I figured out how to make that code 45 for the kick-down go away...just rehook up the kick down relay, give it IGN power on the B&W wires and hook the kick down control wire to one side, and the kick down monitoring wire to the other side of the relay (you could use any relay). Took it for a drive and my little check engine led went off, and there is now no codes in the computer! Woot, this makes me very happy. For some strange reason it also took away my hesitation at lower RPM's when you gun it? Maybe it tricks the computer into adding more fuel for the bog???? Either way that seems to gone.

Also figured out that you can run a switched power to the A/C control wire on the ECU and make your car idle up a few hundred RPM's when you want. That might be nice for rock crawling etc....defintely wiring mine to a switch.

Once I put the switch in and put the last cover back on the dashboard this EFI conversion is DONE!

Glad to hear the swap went well.I really want to see it.Looks great from the pics you posted.So how did you get around the emissions stuff?I am suprised you don't have to smog it.I would be interested to see what can be done to get around it.

Well hehe none of my cars has to go through emissions...I live in Golden BUT I used to live in Bailey, and alot of family still lives up there and always will. So technically I have 2 legal addresses. One here, one in Bailey which is actually my wife's parents (which is Park County=No emissions). So I keep all my cars registered up there. Is cheaper, don't have to pass emissions, and I know the lady at the DMV in Bailey fairly well since my Brother was her mechanic for 10+ years. So I have my ways ;).

Pics are near the end of the "Project Cheap" Build thread here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42459

I would say about 15-25 man hours total maybe. Had to strip my parts car, strip the harness down and get the right wires (probably the longest part) and make it into a new harness. Then install it all on the car, after stripping off the carb and stuff. I could do it again alot faster now though, I took a very long time with the harness, an FSM, and the Conversion Guide to make sure it would be right the first time. Is way easier than I thought it would be when I started it. Snowman did an awesome job writing the Conversion guide, and none of the work is really that hard.