Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pump Question

EA82 1987 engine swap, I'm putting in new belts, pumps gaskets etc. Here's the question when I pulled off the old oil pump it looks like somebody tried to seal the lower part of the Pig on a Bicycle gasket with some kind of goop. Just above the lowest point of the gasket there is a tiny square hole in the engine block. (Looks to me like a weep hole to let oil drain back or something) Well when I got the old gasket off and cleaned everything up that hole is completely plugged. I think it's plugged with the gasket sealant that was used which filled the hole & hardened, but it looks so perfect that it looks like it could be there on purpose. Should this hole be open? or is that plug supposed to be there (which dosen't make sense to me)? I don't want to pick it out if it's needed. Thanks in advance.

If your doing all this work, i would suggest just getting a new pump. I would change mine with every other timing belt change.

I have a new pump but the tiny hole in question is on the engine block side and before I put the new pump on I'd like to know if my suspicions are correct that that hole should not be plugged.

P.S. I got the new pump from my friendly local Subaru Dealership and they gave me the wrong O-ring... Grrrr!

The small hole is part of the casting of the block, but should have a dab of sealant to make sure the oil pump is sealed good.

As for replacing the oil pump everytime you do the timing belts?

Totally un-necessary, oil pumps should last at least 100K. Just my opinion.

The small hole is part of the casting of the block, but should have a dab of sealant to make sure the oil pump is sealed good.

As for replacing the oil pump everytime you do the timing belts?

Totally un-necessary, oil pumps should last at least 100K. Just my opinion.

I agree, at least 100k on an oil pump, but this is a new (to me) engine that had no Oil pressure gauge so I don't know what kind of pressure it was putting out and since the motor is 18yrs old even though it only had 70k/mi on it, I'm throwing in the new pump just because. I think a new oil pump with every other belt change is a good practice.

That tiny hole is above the area of the gasket and seems to me like it was put there for some reason.

So you don't think the rubber piggie gasket is enough? it should also have some sealant on it?

Also what about the O-ring that Subaru gave me the wrong one... Is the OEM O-ring any better than just your average O-ring if it looks like the right size. can I get one from Autozone or from my box of "Universal O-ring replacement Kit" Today is Sunday so the Dealer is closed but I'd like to put it back together today...

Not all o-rings are alike, There are about 40-50 or more diffent kind of o-rings out there, but most likly it is one of three of the major different automotive types.

I said replace the pump every OTHER timing belt change, now that is either 120K or 200K depending upon the engine. I never said with each change. Also when putting in a strange motor with not much known about it, and i am there anyway, I would change it, along it with the water pump and cam seals.

Oil pumps usually are just gasket sealed with no sealant. It doesnt take much to accidently lay down to much sealant, and have it get in the oil galleys, which are no where as big as the water jacket gallies, and cause a major amount of trouble.

nipper

Sorry Nipper, my bad. Gots to read with my glasses on :rolleyes:

But if the engine has good oil pressure, why change it? Just throw a new reseal on it and call it good. If the other stuff isnt leaking, dont mess with it. I've found that sometimes when replacing seals that dont leak, end up leaking after replacement.