Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my front bumper idea...

Numbchux

OK, I sent this to shadyirishmen, so I could maybe get AA to make one up for me, but I thought I'd submit it to the masses for any other ideas/improvements.

so I took the pic of subaruloverbrad's 6" lifted wagon he was selling, and used that bumper as a basis for the design:

f6e95fe2.jpg

then took his fog light out, closed up the gap between the bumper and grill/headlights, added my combo fog/driving lights, moved the license plate tabs (so they don't interfere with the lights), and a couple other things:

bumper.jpg

then hacked it onto a pic of my car:

chuxbumper.jpg

now, it won't look quite like that, since AA is going to tube bumpers now, that's why I rounded the corners on the bottom, I figure they'd want to use one piece across the bottom, and just bend the ends up. the fog lights would be set back far enough so they would be behind that bottom crossbar, which would protect them from pretty much anything. and I tried to add them, and you can almost see them, what would be tow hooks, mounted on the inside of the vertical pieces. actual hooks, like the ones bolted onto some jeep bumpers...these would be real nice, since I hate using clevis' when I'm using looped straps.

and a pic with angry eyelids, to counteract the happy smile made by the bumper:

chuxbumpermad.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

firstwagon...I like that idea, looks sweet!

I've found that protection for the headlights isn't as necessary as I thought, as long as the bumper sticks out beyond them, they're pretty safe. this keeps it open, to allow lots of air into the rad. and the bottome bar could be used to mount a skidplate to...making both stronger.

Jerry...you could put a 2" receiver in there, and make a plate that fits in there for it. I've thought about this, but don't want the winch out there all the time, makes for a huge bumper!

anyone else have ideas

and a pic with angry eyelids, to counteract the happy smile made by the bumper:

chuxbumpermad.jpg

now it looks like its up to no good , kinda a impish smyle:lol:

I yhink the 2 " reciever idea is an absoloute must!

you can temparaly mount a winch, or a tow bar, or one of those storage racks to put your fishing chairs on;)

Chux: legal tow points ;)

and I tried to add them, and you can almost see them, what would be tow hooks, mounted on the inside of the vertical pieces. actual hooks, like the ones bolted onto some jeep bumpers...these would be real nice, since I hate using clevis' when I'm using looped straps.

;);)

I still haven't had time to go out and actually look at how it would work on the car, but looking at some of the pics of brad's car, I don't think I'll lose too much clearance.

442a.jpg?ph6ijZDBnV19Osxn

yes, I'd lose some, but it's in the name of protection!

We could build something like that for about $200-400 a piece if like ten of you agreed on a design and could float the cash to design and build it. All I would do is write up the demensions have the metal fab shop start cutting the pieces and then assemble them at our shop. The only problem with the bumper you are showing is all of the contours and metal pieces that would have to be cut. It would be awesome to do a custom bumper like that, just need the funds to finance it. Who's in?

We could build something like that for about $200-400 a piece if like ten of you agreed on a design and could float the cash to design and build it. All I would do is write up the demensions have the metal fab shop start cutting the pieces and then assemble them at our shop. The only problem with the bumper you are showing is all of the contours and metal pieces that would have to be cut. It would be awesome to do a custom bumper like that, just need the funds to finance it. Who's in?

Um,,, funds,,,,, .

Q: You know what the differance betwine a new Subaru owner and an old Subaru owner is?

A: About 30 grand ;)

Your talking about the ARB looking one, or the big smiley for $200-$400?

I would be interseted in the ARB looking bumper if I could see the design for mounting and tow points first.

I AM THE ONE WHO BUILT THE BIG BUMPER, THE REASON FOR THE HEIGHT OF TOP BAR, IT LINES UP WITH THE ORIGINAL MOUNTS, TOP BAR IS STRAIGHT 2"X2"X1/4" THE BOTTOM GOES JUST IN FRONT OF FRONT SPOILER, SAME LENGTH AS IT MINUS ABOUT 1" AND IT IS ALSO 2"X2"X1/4" TUBE. THE UP AND DOWN ONES ARE 1.5"X1.5"X1/4"AND SO ARE THE ONES THAT MOUNT THE BUMPER TO THE FRONT (ALL FOUR) IT ALSO BOLTS INTO THE CROSSMEMBER LIFT BLOCKS. i HAD PLANNED ONTO MOUNTING A WINCH SO I BUILT IT OVER KILL. I WAS GOING TO ALSO PUT A SKID PLATE FROM THE BOTTOM OF BUMPER BACK TO THE FRONT X-MEMBER. 1/4 PLATE OR SO... THE DESIGN IS VERY STRONG.

samo! love your avitar!

Thank ya :) . Made it the other day.

V2 of the bumper looks great. I was almost thinking to have the reciever either on top or flush with the plate where the fogs are mounted to. Where it's at right now, I'd be worried about it getting hung up - that underpan on the bumper is too nice and smooth to break up with a reciever.

...but that's just me.