Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my front bumper idea...

Numbchux

OK, I sent this to shadyirishmen, so I could maybe get AA to make one up for me, but I thought I'd submit it to the masses for any other ideas/improvements.

so I took the pic of subaruloverbrad's 6" lifted wagon he was selling, and used that bumper as a basis for the design:

f6e95fe2.jpg

then took his fog light out, closed up the gap between the bumper and grill/headlights, added my combo fog/driving lights, moved the license plate tabs (so they don't interfere with the lights), and a couple other things:

bumper.jpg

then hacked it onto a pic of my car:

chuxbumper.jpg

now, it won't look quite like that, since AA is going to tube bumpers now, that's why I rounded the corners on the bottom, I figure they'd want to use one piece across the bottom, and just bend the ends up. the fog lights would be set back far enough so they would be behind that bottom crossbar, which would protect them from pretty much anything. and I tried to add them, and you can almost see them, what would be tow hooks, mounted on the inside of the vertical pieces. actual hooks, like the ones bolted onto some jeep bumpers...these would be real nice, since I hate using clevis' when I'm using looped straps.

and a pic with angry eyelids, to counteract the happy smile made by the bumper:

chuxbumpermad.jpg

What do you think about a expanded steel plate mesh (panted black) on the back side betwine the top and botom rails,,, or behind the air dam,,

to guard the radiator?:brow:

expanded%20plate%20mesh_1.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

version II hitch and tow points

12279Bumper1.jpg

That is looking very good!

Those front tow points could and should be tied directly into the mounting brackets that bolt to the frame. The reciever could be gusseted all the way to the mounting brackets, and you would have one good looking, strong, functional bumper.

that bumper is kick bass. thats awsum dude! it does look like a arb bumper. i bet it would be pretty heavy though

and cost as much as an ARB one :dead:....and still leave the bottom of the radiator unprotected

don't get me wrong, it looks awesome, but I want something a little less pricey, and a little more functional, when I get home, I'll PS some d-rings on my 'prototype'

IM000038.jpg

this beauty is a Soobme, TWB fabrications bumper. the expanded steel is greeat, i only have two problems with it, i wish the headlight hoops bent back with the body, and i wish it had better mounts for the turn signals.

the hoops are no big deal, and some zip ties took care of the signals.

IM000038.jpg

this beauty is a Soobme, TWB fabrications bumper. the expanded steel is greeat, i only have two problems with it, i wish the headlight hoops bent back with the body, and i wish it had better mounts for the turn signals.

that looks like it would be WAY better than the one on the first few pages of this thread

I've come to the realization that I don't want headlight loops as bad as I thought, and I've already rewired the turn signals into the corner markers, so I don't really care about those mounts.

Noah, I like the narrower lower support!! I think I'll adopt that idea. more pics to come late tonight, or tomorrow.

IM000038.jpg

What is is made of? The main part looks like just a peice of flat strap.?

here you go...

have not lost a turn signal since I put this on, and I've used it to carve out the side of a bank to create a ledge for MorganM's tire to go :)

PDC_0074.jpg

with the 5" lift, the winch plate is right in line with the skid plate, so it really didn't lose much for approach angle.

the main "C channel" is actually cut from a beam off a John Deere Combine Corn Picking Head :)

my next add-on is gonna be tubes for a new skid plate frame, and loop up for a winch protector of sorts....

it's also tied into the tow hooks, which made it a lot sturdier (but a pain to install!!!!)

PDC_0075.jpg

and I've used it to carve out the side of a bank to create a ledge for MorganM's tire to go :)

That was so cool; I could literaly see the bumper carving out a ledge and then your tire packing it down. I simply put my right tires on it and came down! :drunk:

here you go...

have not lost a turn signal since I put this on, and I've used it to carve out the side of a bank to create a ledge for MorganM's tire to go :)

PDC_0074.jpg

with the 5" lift, the winch plate is right in line with the skid plate, so it really didn't lose much for approach angle.

the main "C channel" is actually cut from a beam off a John Deere Combine Corn Picking Head :)

my next add-on is gonna be tubes for a new skid plate frame, and loop up for a winch protector of sorts....

it's also tied into the tow hooks, which made it a lot sturdier (but a pain to install!!!!)

PDC_0075.jpg

I like this alot!

I love the use of farm equipment!!!!!!

there must be a way to mach the grill and light lines on an ea82 DL or GL somehow, without it looking like a pare of glasses:-\

MAN I GOT TO LEARN HOW TO WELD!!!!!

I must be Austrailan,,, because this is sorts what i was thinking about but with it angling up toward the ends

image1128.jpg

then ofcourse a reciver hitch, behind the flip down licenses/step plate:brow:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/subaxtreme/index_files/Page730.htm

I'm:slobber: over that whole websit.

image471.jpg

SWEET! but way more than i could ever afford!

probably the most used skill I use in building offroad creations ( weld/fab) , it will open a whole new world of options for you

yeah,, and I think really after initial investment ,, it could help anyone to save money,,, if it is done safely,, I have already been reading some reaserch books on it.. and it looks like the best area to start (in my case) ,

is to start with MIG welding. it seems more compact and I have been told its easer to run a beed, and weld sheet metel, also from what I read, it produces less fumes.

What do you think scott?

yeah,, and I think really after initial investment ,, it could help anyone to save money,,, if it is done safely,, I have already been reading some reaserch books on it.. and it looks like the best area to start (in my case) ,

is to start with MIG welding. it seems more compact and I have been told its easer to run a beed, and weld sheet metel, also from what I read, it produces less fumes.

What do you think scott?

I would recomend running a MIG welder with .030 wire sheilded with 75/25 argon / CO2 mix , this is what i use , it will do standard body sheet metal, exhast pipes, small tubing, up to 1/4" thick or so, I also have a ARC welder which I havent used for a long time, once you learn the MIG its almost like a hot glue gun for steel,

I would recomend running a MIG welder with .030 wire sheilded with 75/25 argon / CO2 mix , this is what i use , it will do standard body sheet metal, exhast pipes, small tubing, up to 1/4" thick or so, I also have a ARC welder which I havent used for a long time, once you learn the MIG its almost like a hot glue gun for steel,

Definitely a mig with 75/25 and .30 thats what we use to build most of our lift components, although we do use a tig also. An arc welder is for more industrial applications, but is extremely strong if done correctly. I arc welded for four years, and am very good at it, but I hate replacing sticks all of the time and now prefer the mig and tig.

A lot of people jump into welding with an inexpensive mig, but that should be a 3rd or 4th tool purchase. First tool should be an oxy/acetylene rig. Metal has to be cut and shaped before it is welded and a torch will do both and it'll even weld. I actually prefer welding with OA as it requires less eye protection and it just feels more zen like. I can put together 20 ga sheet up to 3/16 stock, but I have to say that body panels are tough and a mig is way better for this. OA welding is tougher to learn but it really helps understand what a good weld looks and feels like.

1st-Torch (Harris or Victor)

2nd-Grinder good quality (dw402 or better)

3rd-Helmet

Then you can get your mig and don't go to wallmart. Also on the list should be a good pair of welding gauntlets (gloves). Some welding machines come with a descent helmet but those deals are the exception, not the rule.

I don't want to discourage anyone with a long list of tools to get. On the contrary if you get some good equipment it will be easier to learn and less discouraging to continue. I just think it is so cool to be able to come up with a design and then go out to the shop and fab it up. Right now I'm waiting for the next subie to come along so I can have Dimples to off road and mod.