Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi

I recently bought a 99 Legacy and want to replace the factory fitted stereo/casette deck with a CD player.

How do I remove/dismantle the dashboard to get the old one out? Does anyone have pics or a manual of which screws and pieces to remove etc.

Thanks

I dont know what a 99 sube dash looks like, but it should be as easy as popping the dash trim off(plastic piece that cover all controls in the center of the dash). Once that is off all you need to do is unscrew the deck, which should only be 4 screws/ bolts. Once this is out you cant put the new deck in. To put the new one in you need a wirring harness to connect the aftermarket wirring to the factory wiring. You put in the cage (the cage is a metal box/ cage that the deck slides into, it is like 1/3 of the depth of the actuall deck itself, it comes with the new deck and should be on it already, you have to take the deck out of the cage.) The cage is which locks the deck in place, there are tabs that you need to puch out on all sides so it stays in the dash. Once the cage is in you slide the new deck in and it locks in place. You can only get it out if you have the "keys" which unlocks it from the cage. This is why the tabs have to be pushed out on all sides. The cage holds the deck, which is held in the dash by the tabs on the cage, therfore it cant be stolen or fall out when you hit the gas. The only way to get the deck out is by sliding the "keys" through the sides of the cage, but the cage still sits in place. Its pretty easy, sorry if I dont make any sense.

[mostly innacurate instructions]

I had a 96 Outback, and the remove and install instructions are here:

Remove the pop-out cupholder and then remove the 2 screws behind it. Remove the upper trim with the center vents and hazard light switch. Open the center armrest / storage space and then remove the two screws. Set the parking brake and then pull up the trim surrounding the parking brake. If you have an automatic, shift the selector lever out of Park to "1". Remove the smaller trim around the selector (the one that you remove to get to the access hole for the emergency release if the shift-lock fails. Remove the ash tray (or small cubby hole) and then remove the two screws underneath. Remove the trim around the shifter lever. Pull the trim around the radio and then disconnect the cigarette lighter / power outlet. Now you can remove the 6 screws that hold the radio cage in (4 on front, two on the sides further back). Pull the cage forward and then disconnect the harness from the back of the radio. Remove the cage and then remove the screws that hold the radio and CD player in place.

As for installing the new radio, it is probably a single DIN, so you will need to go to a dealer and get a storage box to fill the hole left behind by the CD player unit. Installation is reverse of the instructions above. :)

• 1 year later...

Hey,

What exactly is "inaccurate" about this last post? I have a 96 Legacy Outback Wagon, and need to swap stereos. I got as far as the 2 screws on the cupholder assembly, and then began to stare vacantly & drool on the seat, ala Spongebob's trusty sidekick Patrick. :slobber:

So, let's reopen this can of worms, and hopefully find some related pics?

Hey,

What exactly is "inaccurate" about this last post? I have a 96 Legacy Outback Wagon, and need to swap stereos. I got as far as the 2 screws on the cupholder assembly, and then began to stare vacantly & drool on the seat, ala Spongebob's trusty sidekick Patrick. :slobber:

So, let's reopen this can of worms, and hopefully find some related pics?

FIRST, BE GENTLE WITH OLDER PLASTIC PARTS, THEY MAY ALREADY BE CRACKED AND COULD BREAK.

remove the cup holder

remove the 2 screws that hold in the cup holder receiver & remove

remove the ashtray

remove the screws, 2 (?) inside top of the ashtray reciever/holder & remove

there may be 2 more screws where the cup holder mounts that i can't remember

remove the radio bezel (that's the plastic trim surrounding the radio)

now the 4 screws holding the radio in, 2 each side , should be accessable

remove the 4 screws holding in the radio

pull the radio forward, reach behind it and disconnect the wiring plug connector, there should be a press down tab to release.

and yes you may have to shift into 1ST to make room for the extraction.

good luck.

Is a New Zealand '99 = '00 US market, in other words third gen Legacy? If so the directions could be different. Sorry if I'm wrong, but IIRC in Australia they are one MY ahead of us here in the States. If nzbaru's is a third gen legacy, he should be searching for '00-'04 instructions on US websites.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

:confused:

Ok seriously, this is not working out. I got as far as removing the two screws a. behind the cupholder and b. above the ashtray, but the trim will not budge. I am a pretty handy guy, (journeyman electrician) but when it comes to dealing with cars & their plastic parts, I often recidivate directly to a Neanderthal work ethic & end up breaking some (mundane yet ridiculously expensive) plastic chunk of car.

Bottom line:

This is an automatic trans w/ the shifter in the center console. Do I or do I not have to remove the entire center console to get this damn factory radio OUTTA here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RC instructions are way too inacurate ;)

you forgot: extend your arm with an open grip. grasp the handle of the phillip head screw driver. close your fist around the handle. Bend your arm at the elbow and retract your arm. Aim your eye sight at the center of the unfortunate screw. Extend the screw driver to fit percisely in the "x" pattern of the screw. Once in, twist your wrist as if you were unscrwing a bottle top. keep this up until the screw is fully protruded. Once the screw is dislodged extend your other arm (don't drop the screw driver) and open your hand. Place your index finger and thumb on each side of the screw. Grasp the screw. Pick up the screw an put it in an important place (your choice). Follow these directions for the second screw. And all others after....

Now back to seriousness....

Just stick a flat head (skinny) screw driver wherever you want to pop out the plastic, make sure there are no screws holding it in. If you break something you can always get another cheap one from ebay or a j-yard. This is how I learned, and have done many installs since (w/o breaking stuff). You're prolly going to have to shift into "1" to pop off the center trim. Once the center is poped off you should be able to pull the center radio trim piece off

i belive in my 95 LS i had to remove 2 screws from the inside of the center console arm rest to remove the gear shifter cover, which lead to the ability to peel back the center dash (after removing the ashtray and cupholder. this may not apply, but go ahead and check for it just in case.

you have removed 2 screws at the top and 2 at the bottom. is the trim piece loose? but not removeable or still tight in place? if it's loose but you can't remove, you need to find the item that is stoppong it. if it's still tight, 2 possibilities, held in by friction use small screwdriver, or look for another screw. don't force it.

there is a screw in the rear of the ashtray slide, loosen only not remiove then lift the bracket off, but my memory is that it's not required.

you might try squirting some penetrating oil or spray cleaner to disolve the spilled coke and coffee in seams and joints all the way around the trim piece.

john