Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trans Cooler

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jrbuckingham

jrbuckingham

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Harselle

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:38 PM

I have a 99 Legacy w/2.2 & auto trans w/82,000. I had a total trans flushed at 70,000. I will be towing a small u-haul trailer from AL to CA, is it recommended that i install a small type cooler?

Thanks
Jim

#2 friendly_jacek

friendly_jacek

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • USA

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:56 AM

Yes, not only will it prevent you from tranny overheat and failure during towing but also will prolong tranny life if you drive fast in hot climate.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,557 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:12 AM

i say yes, as its cheap insurance.

nipper

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,745 posts
  • WV

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:16 AM

i say yes but i would add that you should install the transmission cooler no matter what. even if you don't tow, add the cooler. i just picked one up for my 1997 OBS and i'm not going to be doing any towing, but it's a well spent 30 bucks and couple minutes to install.

#5 jrbuckingham

jrbuckingham

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Harselle

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

Are there simple written and visual instructions for the install?

i say yes but i would add that you should install the transmission cooler no matter what. even if you don't tow, add the cooler. i just picked one up for my 1997 OBS and i'm not going to be doing any towing, but it's a well spent 30 bucks and couple minutes to install.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,557 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:43 PM

its real easy, just get a decent kit and its all there. The coolant lines already run to the radiator. there is a small cooler in there already. I do beleiove your just disconnecting that from the radiator, cutting off the neds of the lines, and usinng hose clamps to attach.
The cooler attaches to the front of the radiator usually suiing some zip tie system.

nipper

#7 friendly_jacek

friendly_jacek

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • USA

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

Most people put radiator cooler first and external cooler second in serial connection. I googled for this nice guide for you, send me payment via paypal! :-)
http://www.subarucha...i/Transcool.pdf
My instalation was similar, I used a different model of Hayden and did't use the plastic straps, so the fan did not heve to come out.

#8 jrbuckingham

jrbuckingham

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Harselle

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the advice, buying one today. Less inexpensive then a trans!

Jim

its real easy, just get a decent kit and its all there. The coolant lines already run to the radiator. there is a small cooler in there already. I do beleiove your just disconnecting that from the radiator, cutting off the neds of the lines, and usinng hose clamps to attach.
The cooler attaches to the front of the radiator usually suiing some zip tie system.

nipper

#9 jrbuckingham

jrbuckingham

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Harselle

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:06 AM

I'll look at the different types, Hayden has one # 402 that is $33. Which model did you use wher the fan did not have come out?

Jim

Most people put radiator cooler first and external cooler second in serial connection. I googled for this nice guide for you, send me payment via paypal! :-)
http://www.subarucha...i/Transcool.pdf
My instalation was similar, I used a different model of Hayden and did't use the plastic straps, so the fan did not heve to come out.

#10 friendly_jacek

friendly_jacek

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • USA

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:10 AM

I dont remenber the number, maybe #403.
The reason I didn't remove fan was I used a custom mount, attaching it to the frame. Those plastic thingies are lame and make the cooler almost stuck to the AC condenser..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users