Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are there 2wd subarus?

ok... so i have a friend who has two older subarus. One i am sure has AWD, but the other i'm not so sure of.

so... my question is, has subaru made 2wd cars?

and... say i find an old subaru for pretty cheap, can i be sure that it has either? I mean i realize that if it is 4WD then i'll be able to tell upon entering the vehicle, but i'm not sure that such is true with AWD.

hmm.

ok... so i have a friend who has two older subarus. One i am sure has AWD, but the other i'm not so sure of.

and... say i find an old subaru for pretty cheap, can i be sure that it has either? I mean i realize that if it is 4WD then i'll be able to tell upon entering the vehicle, but i'm not sure that such is true with AWD.

hmm.

have u ever changed a spare wheel my grand ma knows more than that and shes blind just look under the car if it has a dif at the rear its 4wd

have u ever changed a spare wheel my grand ma knows more than that and shes blind just look under the car if it has a dif at the rear its 4wd

Thanks, that was helpful and constructive. Not all of us are car experts, or even novices.

Perhaps you can teach him something about cars, and he can teach you something about punctuation. :rolleyes:

hmm.

we prefer not to speak of the DriveTrain-That-Shall-Remain-Nameless

As said above, just look for the driveshaft, rear diff, and CVs. It'll be pretty obvious once you get under there.

As Brian mentioned, the 2WD models usually sit a little lower than the 4WD/AWD ones, so a trained eye can spot them, but looking for the rear drive hardware is your best bet.

Here's an easier way:

If you can see the center of the rear wheel, if it's not covered by a hubcap or center cap... if it has just a metal round grease cap for the wheel bearing, it's FWD, and if it has an axle stub with a nut on it, it's 4WD...

All you have to do is look at the front fender on my 79 dl it says "front wheel drive" in fancy cursive chrome.

no no no... here is the fun way...

i recall somebody saying this before... so i'm going to repeat it...

jack up the front and the back of the car... (on jack-stands... lets be semi-safe here)

mind you your probably going to jack up the rear on the REAR DIFF... but hey... ignore that, we want to see if it works too!

then once all 4 corners are up in the air start the car and see if the back wheels turn...

there you have it! so simple!(and fun!)

alright... if your lazy like me, just look under and see if there is a diff... :rolleyes: