Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are there 2wd subarus?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 slothoncanvas

slothoncanvas

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Reading

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

ok... so i have a friend who has two older subarus. One i am sure has AWD, but the other i'm not so sure of.

so... my question is, has subaru made 2wd cars?

and... say i find an old subaru for pretty cheap, can i be sure that it has either? I mean i realize that if it is 4WD then i'll be able to tell upon entering the vehicle, but i'm not sure that such is true with AWD.

hmm.

#2 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

You can tell older soobs easy if its 2wd or 4wd, just look under the rear, if it has a rear diff its 4wd, if not then 2wd. I'm also not sure about the newer cars.

#3 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Bremerton, WA, USA

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:55 PM

pre 96 they came in 2wd variants, just look underneath as Jib's said, if you see a rear diff, then its 4wd

after 96 they are all AWD at least USDM

#4 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,920 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:23 PM

the rear of 2WD subarus usually sit lower than 4WD. So if your good at it, you can tell by sight. But to verify or not, just look between the rear wheels. if you see CV Joints and a diff in the rear, its definatly 4WD.

-Brian

#5 gravilboy

gravilboy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • christchirch

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:10 AM

ok... so i have a friend who has two older subarus. One i am sure has AWD, but the other i'm not so sure of.

and... say i find an old subaru for pretty cheap, can i be sure that it has either? I mean i realize that if it is 4WD then i'll be able to tell upon entering the vehicle, but i'm not sure that such is true with AWD.

hmm.

have u ever changed a spare wheel my grand ma knows more than that and shes blind just look under the car if it has a dif at the rear its 4wd

#6 uss_essess

uss_essess

The Subaru Grim Reaper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:23 AM

have u ever changed a spare wheel my grand ma knows more than that and shes blind just look under the car if it has a dif at the rear its 4wd

Thanks, that was helpful and constructive. Not all of us are car experts, or even novices.

Perhaps you can teach him something about cars, and he can teach you something about punctuation. :rolleyes:

#7 wesley willis

wesley willis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • port alberni, bc, canada

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:58 AM

they exist, trust me on that one. i own a 2wd sube.

#8 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:51 AM

hmm.

we prefer not to speak of the DriveTrain-That-Shall-Remain-Nameless

#9 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:15 AM

As said above, just look for the driveshaft, rear diff, and CVs. It'll be pretty obvious once you get under there.

As Brian mentioned, the 2WD models usually sit a little lower than the 4WD/AWD ones, so a trained eye can spot them, but looking for the rear drive hardware is your best bet.

#10 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:14 PM

Here's an easier way:

If you can see the center of the rear wheel, if it's not covered by a hubcap or center cap... if it has just a metal round grease cap for the wheel bearing, it's FWD, and if it has an axle stub with a nut on it, it's 4WD...

#11 REXSPEEDWORTHY

REXSPEEDWORTHY

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Independence

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:26 PM

Here's an easier way:

If you can see the center of the rear wheel, if it's not covered by a hubcap or center cap... if it has just a metal round grease cap for the wheel bearing, it's FWD, and if it has an axle stub with a nut on it, it's 4WD...

All you have to do is look at the front fender on my 79 dl it says "front wheel drive" in fancy cursive chrome.

#12 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:16 AM

no no no... here is the fun way...

i recall somebody saying this before... so i'm going to repeat it...

jack up the front and the back of the car... (on jack-stands... lets be semi-safe here)

mind you your probably going to jack up the rear on the REAR DIFF... but hey... ignore that, we want to see if it works too!

then once all 4 corners are up in the air start the car and see if the back wheels turn...

there you have it! so simple!(and fun!)

alright... if your lazy like me, just look under and see if there is a diff... :rolleyes:

#13 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

Yes; I've had a 2WD GL wagon and a 2WD Legacy wagon.

Look in the rear end... no diff; no 4WD or AWD. It will also have badges if it's 4WD or AWD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users