Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Automatic Seatbelt troubles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 syphon

syphon

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:13 PM

Hey all,

We're having a lot of troubles with the drivers side automatic seatbelt on our 1990 Legacy.

When we bought the car, the seatbelt motor was unplugged, so we assumed it was broken. I grabbed a new one from pull-a-part and swapped it in there, but it didn't help it. Both motors WORK fine, when they decide to work.

What happens, is that the seatbelt will always "close" (meaning, it never fails to move back and cover the person with the belt) but it only "opens" maybe 1/3 of the time. You open the door, and the seatbelt doesn't move. Sometimes, it "shudders" as it slowly moves forward.

Also, the Seatbelt light on the dash constanly blinks. I thought at first it did this because the old motor was unplugged, but it still blinks.

Another oddity I see, is that I found a couple cut wires up in the A-pillar. The seatbelt motor works fine (when it chooses to work) so I assumed they were unrelated, but now I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

#2 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:28 PM

my 91 did the same think,the cable had ate into the liner that guides the cable,have yet to replace mine. i did take motor out and just fasten chest belt by hand. ed

#3 syphon

syphon

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:15 AM

my 91 did the same think,the cable had ate into the liner that guides the cable,have yet to replace mine. i did take motor out and just fasten chest belt by hand. ed

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

The thing that makes me think the motor is good is that sometimes the seatbelt works flawlessly, it's just the majority of the time, it doesnt even budge (the motor doesn't even try to move).

Another odd thing it does is that sometimes it has a "delayed reaction". You'll open the door, and maybe 15-20 seconds later the seat-belt opens. It really makes me think there's some weird wiring issue.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,557 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:18 AM

Sounds like a cable drive problem

nipper

#5 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,582 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

Might be one of the limit switches.

I have diagnostic procedures to check the computer, but my server is down now. Shoot me an email, and I can email you the scans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users