Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil leaking on my 1.8 Gl 4WD '86 Coupe

hey, i 've had good luck fixing those leaks. the trick to the front seal is to use high tack sealer [almost glue] to hold in the seal i've used blue silicone onley to have it " walk" it moved 1/8 inch. in 6 months. and pre-oil the race before putting in the pully. now on to the oil pump,i've also good luck installing a oil seal kit[from the dealer] it can be hard to get the pump out. take your time pulling the oil filter up & down while GENTLY prying it out. pry on outside areas of the pump not in between the metal to metal plates[ does that make sence]. the seals are probaly hard as a hard seal and will break in your hand. take it easy taking out the 2 philip screws,there easy to strip[i've had to un screw them with a small chisil] once the pump is out its easy to "reseal"it. the last stinker is to put a LITTLE sealer on the seal between the pump and the block. i've had them fall off or move on install. i've done this a dozen times with good results. don't get in a hurry and you'll do fine. good luck ,todd ,the old one p.s. it can be tough getting it back in. line up the "keys" .get in place and use the bolts to pull it in [cris cross],be carefull that everything is lined up and slowly pull it in. have fun todd

Moosens checked out my 90 Loyale and with his encouragement planned to do the front engine leaks. On closer inspection, it appears that there are leaks in the area of the front diff.. The only problem I see is that the oil drips onto the exhaust and smells a lot. Adding fluids occasionally isn't that much of a bother. So perhaps the real solution is to create a system of gutters and downspouts that catch and redirect the oil drippings away from the hot exhaust. With some ingenuity, the oil could be collected and redirected into the fill tube.:D

THis reminds me of the farmer who's outhouse had gutters going out to the fields........:eek:

My opinion is DO trust new seals.I beat the wizz out of my car and it's tight as a frog's backside.

By the way,I'm half Romanian.....good to see you here.

If you have the money:

Do the timing belts,cam seals and O rings,front main seal,oil pump,water pump with O ring on the tube.

If you can lift the motor out do the oil pan gasket and if you really have time and money do the heads right.

Good luck.Wish I knew some Romanian other than a few bad words and what my grangmother said to us.

So, maybe I'm not too lucky but about me the oil is made to protect the engine from inside not from the outer side .

Finally can somebody give me a professional advise how could I change the sealants in the optimal way? I don't like to work in plus , just to change the selants not to smount all my car. Thank you previously.