Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's wrong with my car.

Car recently was tuned up with new cap, rotor, plugs. Fuel filter is new. The problem is the car runs awesome once the turbo kicks in and it takes off like a rocket. Now the thing is that I don't understand is that it gets up to 100mph and that's it. It acts like it's not getting enough gas or something. The car is an 86Turbo wagon with everything stock except a boost controller which is set at 11psi. Maybe i'm just expecting to much out of this little car. Also will higher elevation make my car slower. I tested at approximately 5500ft. Car has 111K on it and runs great.

Okay. First off, please don't take this the wrong way but might I suggest getting and installing some sort of intercooler? I really don't see the engine lasting very long running 11psi and no intercooler. While you are running more boost, you may not be seeing the increase in power that you would get from a cooler, denser air charge(via an intercooler) because the air is being heated up too much to create a big increase in power.That would be my first supporting mod.

Secondly, if it feels like it isn't getting enough fuel, give her what she wants. You can add an adjustable FPR and increase the fuel pressure to 42psi. This will add enough fuel to get you over the 100mph hump. Or another option is to add a Hobbs pressure switch and tee in a cold start injector from a Saab or VW. The Hobbs switch allows you to determine what boost pressure the fuel injector kicks in at. This will require some wiring, but it isn't as difficult as one may think. Also add a high flow fuel pump. It should be easy as the stock one is an inline style pump. You have to keep in mind, these little cars only came stock with 115hp. And that is measured at the crank. Trust me, if you increase the fueling abilities of the engine, you will see a dramatic increase in power.

Now you're getting plenty of fuel in, it needs it's close partner: AIR!!! Get yourself some piping, silicone connectors, K&N cone filter, and a MAF adapter. Cut a hole in the inside of the bumper(where the stock snorkel goes through into the fender) and run the piping and filter into the fender. This will feed the turbo colder air right off the bat which creates an enviroment that is good for making power. You may also want to add a bypass valve(100% recirculating back to the turbos inlet pipe) to keep the turbocharger from getting damaged by pressurized air back building and causing compressor stall. This will also help to keep the turbo spooled between shifts.

You have lots of air going in, did you remember to give it an escape route? A larger diameter exhaust will yield a handful of ponies and will also allow your now "high performance" engine to breathe freely.

Basically, you have all kinds of options. You just have to know what you want the car to do and also know what the good ol' budget will allow. If you need assistance, just ask. There are many members here on the boards that I'm sure would be more than willing to help you(me included; I'd just be a little bit limited in what I can do for you considering where I'm at:rolleyes: ).

I hope this helps. I'm sorry for writing a novel.

Patrick

I'm currently working on the exhaust for this car and the intake will soon be built also. As for the intercooler i'm probably gonna wait until spring since the budget is kinda short at the moment. I'm not worried about problems overboosting at the moment. It's not like I keep my foot shoved to the floor all the time anyways.