Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got my 5spd dr

randomizer

So I got my 5spd d/r from pull apart today. Now I just got to do the conversion and put it in. There are serveral ea82 wagons in PAP right now. If any one is interested there was a 2wd with a really nice dual color (red and gray) interior.

I did have one question though. Do I need the ea82 drive shaft or will the ea81 shaft fit with the ea82 tranny?

I believe the 2 shaft drive line will work as long as you weld in the middle mount. But the single drive shaft has to be custom made? correct me if I'm wrong.

So I got my 5spd d/r from pull apart today. Now I just got to do the conversion and put it in. There are serveral ea82 wagons in PAP right now. If any one is interested there was a 2wd with a really nice dual color (red and gray) interior.

I did have one question though. Do I need the ea82 drive shaft or will the ea81 shaft fit with the ea82 tranny?

Another issue with the 5 speed conversion is the hanger for the exhaust has changed location slightly. Don't just leave it hanging in the center since this produces a resonance at 2800 rpm that is quite annoying (trust me, I've been there). Fab up a support for the center of the exhaust line that matches the original as much as possible.

You have a choice for which flywheel to use with the 5spd conversion. Either the original 4 speed flywheel with a 5 speed clutchdisk (spline count is different on the 5 speed d/r) or go with the 5 speed flywheel. There's another issue with the clutch disk; check with bratsrus1 for details. Depends on whether you want a lighter flywheel (4 spd original) which will rev quicker or the heavier 5 spd version which will offer better low end torque. I know bratsrus1 prefers the 4 spd flywheel and I have the 5 spd flywheel. With the 5 spd flywheel, the mounting holes to the crank are slightly larger; not a problem really since the flywheel will align itself slightly the first time you step on it. But anal soul that I am I wanted to find a bushing that would take up some of the potential play. After searching I finally found a solution at the local McLendon's hardware. They have a selection of 1 foot tubing in brass. I found a piece of brass tubing 13/32" outside diameter which fits perfectly into the flywheel mounting holes; inside diameter still clears the mounting bolt. I just need to cut it into 8 pieces about 1/2" long for the spacers I need.

Update: Dremel tool cut the brass tubing perfectly. Couldn't cut it with a tubing cutter, brass is too soft to cut that way.