Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5spd D/R rx tranny?

Ok, So I have this turbo coup, wich conveniently has no engine in it, making it very easy to access this automatic transmission that leaks. Wondering, What should I replace this with? Any ideas? I was thinking about going with a 5spd... But I'm not sure how to mount the 4wd linkage and such. Getting an RX all wheel drive tranny in would be pretty cool, or a center locking diff tranny. Wondering what would be easiest to do right now...

Current progress on the engine:

I pulled the moter out of the car, got one head cover off... it's pretty gross inside... Anyway, I'm going to pull the heads off tomarrow night hopefully. While I'm at it, I'm replacing pretty much every single coolant line in the car, because so far, 3 coolant hoses have bursted. Wich is what lead to the overheating and poping headgaskets deal. So all coolant hoses are getting replaced. I'm replacing the starter moter too.

I'll have pictures soon on this massive project, I'll get em as soon as I head over to work on the engine. (I have the car stored at a friends house)

Well, it's probably going to be a daily driver. I don't have alot of money to professionally rally it and what not. But, it should be highly capible in snow and mud. I want to drop a manual in it. Automatics are just too boring and high maintence for me. Basically, I know the D/R is going to need help mounting the shifting linkage. But, sense the rx tranny is also D/R I guess it really doesn't matter. What to others think would be best for snow?

Well, it's probably going to be a daily driver. I don't have alot of money to professionally rally it and what not. But, it should be highly capible in snow and mud. I want to drop a manual in it. Automatics are just too boring and high maintence for me. Basically, I know the D/R is going to need help mounting the shifting linkage. But, sense the rx tranny is also D/R I guess it really doesn't matter. What to others think would be best for snow?

Check out this post where I had similar questions.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45870

Hope this helps.

Kel