Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would you build?

Scott in Bellingham

if you could build or have built a Awesome offroad Subie what would it look like ? what would you build into it?

Heres one I cobbled up on the Comp:

it has a 89" wheelbase

Diesel engine

good aproach and departure angles

6-8" lift

31 or 33" tires

4 to 1 Transfer gear reduction

more travel then stock

on board compressor with 4 adjustable airshocks (plus stock springs), the airshocks would be controlled on the dash so on a side hill so could keep the vehicle somewhat stable

optional doors and hatch lid to keep the weight down below 2000LB

9463AA225-75EA82-200.JPG

I'd start with a dinged up forester. Install an LSD. Remove the stock exhaust from the cat back and install a smaller dia pipe with no muffler. Then I'd install a 10hp nos. Next I'd take the plasma cutter to the fenders/frame/pans so I could stuff some 29's under it with no lift. This is when I'd remove the front bumper and fab up something similar to the bumper in the other thread. I have my own ideas but they are similar. Lets see......remove carpet, dash, plastic, (the cup holders stay). Move spare to the roof and insulate spare well to hold frosty bevies. Last thing would be to insert disturbed "the sickness" into the CD and superglue shut.

Of course people in hell want icewater too so I'll say that this would happen after I get the XT replacement for Dimples.

d.

The stock ~97" wheelbase of the ea82 is great for climbing. In fact most rockcrawling rigs go even a bit longer to around 110" However the overhang is the killer. I would bob the rear and cut the back hatch out ala Baja. Then, mount the rad over the engine like Subarubrat and chop the lower front end off at a ~45` angle.

For drivetrain: ej22 to DR 5spd to Nissan 720 tcase, running to front and rear nissan 720 r180 diffs. Then nissan long side axle shafts all around, with custom a-arm suspension utilizing the 720 pickup hubs all the way around. Then I would have durability with 33" tires, extremely long travel, and locking hubs on all 4. :P

euu i already have plans for my "ultimate subaru"

some hatch

10inch lift

31inch super swamper boggers :)

15x8 rock crawler bead locks

divorced t-case

home made bumpers

not sure on the engine yet

snorkle

almost amphibious

2 1/2 inch straight pipe with a glass pack

twin batterys

about 5 pairs of kc's :)

kick rump roast stereo

custom body work made by nature

on board air

on board welder

8,000 pound winch on reciever bracket

some other stuff to

(i'm actually gona build this :)) along with my lifted golf cart, racing lawn mower. and other smaller hatch:lol:

For drivetrain: ej22 to DR 5spd to Nissan 720 tcase, running to front and rear nissan 720 r180 diffs. Then nissan long side axle shafts all around, with custom a-arm suspension utilizing the 720 pickup hubs all the way around. Then I would have durability with 33" tires, extremely long travel, and locking hubs on all 4. :P

OK these r180 diffs what vehicle are they found in? is it the 720 truck only? and what gear ratio are they? , also you mention long side axle , does that mean the diff in the 720 truck is not center mounted and has 2 lengths of axles? I like this idea

if you could build or have built a Awesome offroad Subie what would it look like ? what would you build into it?

Heres one I cobbled up on the Comp:

it has a 89" wheelbase

Diesel engine

good aproach and departure angles

6-8" lift

31 or 33" tires

4 to 1 Transfer gear reduction

more travel then stock

on board compressor with 4 adjustable airshocks (plus stock springs), the airshocks would be controlled on the dash so on a side hill so could keep the vehicle somewhat stable

optional doors and hatch lid to keep the weight down below 2000LB

9463AA225-75EA82-200.JPG

HEY! what happened to my car! :lol::lol: SWEET! getting good with that photoshop!

when I walk out into the drive way it better eather be like I left it, or ,,,,

completly done like in the photo:-p

If you move the front wheels forward like that,, how will the engine fit?

just wondering.

some people must be daaaaamn loyal subaru worshipers to put all that money into that

i could build mine for less than i could buy a toyota pickup for.

one subaru 100-300 dollars

axles springs, other crap 300dollars

tires 400-500dollars

er27(with xt6) 100 dollars

not so bad

i rock the subarus because they are the cheapest of the cheap 4x4.

It could look something like this?

dirtyhatchrt.jpg

It only has a EA81 in it tho :rolleyes:

exactly like that, but with bigger tires. er27 and 6lugs, solids front and rear...

damn, after i finish this kz1000 restoration, i might get all twitchy on my hatch again...

all this body shortening and lengthening is not interesting to me in the least bit. just pick the hatch, or wagon to switch wheelbase length. you realy dont want anything shorter than a hatch.

I think it needs a giant key on the back.:lol:

I'd bet there are a bunch of folks out there that are probably driving something real close to their dream machine?

Not that we don't need to keep pushing ahead with new ideas but,

I'm fairly impressed by some of the stuff that has already been built:cool:

Just a thought,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--built the way I wanted it.

84 GL Mad Max--shows much potential.

01 Forester--waiting for warrantee to end.

OK these r180 diffs what vehicle are they found in? is it the 720 truck only? and what gear ratio are they? , also you mention long side axle , does that mean the diff in the 720 truck is not center mounted and has 2 lengths of axles? I like this idea

The r180s look almost identical to r160s just bigger, and they use flanges on the side outputs instead of those stupid splined stubs. The most common gear ratio is 4.375:1 (I think). They are mounted offset in the early-mid 80s datsun 720 4x4, with a long shaft on one side and a short on the other. They could be easily mounted centrally with long side shafts on each side. This would give a track about 6-8" bigger than a stock sube (by my eyeball estimation)

The way I would do it is to make a cage with a-arm mounts that holds the diff inside of it. A skinnier steering rack would have to be sourced for the front from a sandrail or perhaps a stock rack chopped up and modified. Using the stock rack would cause bump steer.

This would make pretty much the perfect IFS/IRS setup, but it requires more fabrication than I've seen on any off-road sube.