Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Biggest tires

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:26 PM

So what's the biggest tire anyone is running on their gl wagon without a lift kit and without using the sawzall or sledge hammer?

#2 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:31 PM

So what's the biggest tire anyone is running on their gl wagon without a lift kit and without using the sawzall or sledge hammer?

Are you asking with the stock 13" wheels or pugs?With stocker steels I would say 185/70/13.

#3 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:33 PM

with any wheel/tire combo

#4 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:35 PM

i ran 14 inch pugs, 185/70/14's before i got my lift, didn't rub at all. not a tad. you could probably run 25's without any trimming

#5 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:38 PM

on 13in alloys, i just put some new tires on, and gained at least 1 & 1/2 in`s from original height.i can check on the size if you want.

#6 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

How did the bigger tires affect your performance and fuel mileage. I'm thinking of 195/75/14s, which would give me an effective diameter increase of 9.1 percent over stock, and should drop my RPMs by about 300 @ 65MPH.

#7 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

as far as power loss and fuel consumption goes, its not that bad. i still get 25 miles per gallon with 28inch tires. power, hm... not to bad. it does drop the rpm's quite a bit. with my 28inch tires, i dont use 5th gear at all. your car is a 5speed right?

#8 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

1.8 carbureted with 5sp dr

#9 Rallywagon

Rallywagon

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Western NC

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

I run 205/75 R14's. They are a very tight, but acceptable fit. They only scrub when I lock the steering out to either side, but the turning radius is virtually unchanged.

I purposely chose rims with a large negative offset like the stock wheels (45mm). But you'll notice in my signature that I have converted my hubs to 4x100mm, so I use '95 Mazda Protege' wheels.

#10 Subrunner

Subrunner

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • South Jordan

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

i have the same question for an 89 Gl...

#11 ettev

ettev

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Pottsville, PA

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

205/65-15's.......no lift.......very minimal rubbing. I did that on a '87 GL wagon. Made it at least feel like a smoother highway ride. Performance did not suffer. Naturally you'll need to mentally adjust for the speedometer difference. They look a bit more agressive with the bigger buns too.

#12 brysawn

brysawn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

This has now been covered multiple times. I created the same thread with an easily found title a couple of days ago.

Here it is: http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=111056

and why would you post in an almost 5 year old thread?

Edited by brysawn, 15 April 2010 - 03:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users