Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

auto transmission will not shift into high gear...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elcaminokurt

elcaminokurt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Owatonna, MN

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

Hello everybody!
I have the oportunity to buy a late eighties Subaru 4 door locally. It is grey, turbo, auto with push button 4wd, moon roof and power windows! Plus, no rust! And, living in Minnesota, thats a big deal! At any rate, the 3 speed transmission will not shift into 3rd. I suspect it is a bad module, but I was going to get everyones consensus. Worst case senario(sp?), would that motor mount up to a) my 85 Brat's 4spd manual, or B) another late eighties 5 spd manual. Thanks in advance for everyones help! Kurt

#2 chef_tim

chef_tim

Romans 5:8

• Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

Hey Kurt, I have a spare govoner shaft if you need it let me know. Tim

#3 elcaminokurt

elcaminokurt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Owatonna, MN

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

Tim, excuse me for the noob question, but what are the govenor shafts for? Is it common that they go bad? Thanks, Kurt

#4 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:23 AM

On the passenger side (North American models) of the transmission, near the engine, there is a big circular cover. Inside is the governor. It helps control shifting. It is a spring-loaded valve on a spinning shaft, driven by a gear in the transmission.

There are three failure modes for the governor.
1. The gear on the governor shaft becomes worn-out and slips. On non-turbo models, the gear is nylon and can become worn. Turbo models have steel gears.

2. The gear in the transmission becomes worn-out and slips. This gear seems to last longer than the governor shaft gear, but it can still wear out. If it wears out, it's probably easier to get a replacement transmission from a junkyard. Again, non-turbo models have a nylon gear, turbos have a steel gear.

3. The valve gets jammed on some varnish, dirt or debris and it starts to stick. This is what happened to my turbo wagon. It resulted in the car being 'stuck' in gear. It would never kick down to first gear unless I manually put the car into '1'. If I started in '1' and shifted to 'D', it would stay in first for a bit and then violently jam into 2nd or 3rd. There's a write-up on the USRM about cleaning up the governor.

#5 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:48 AM

Also, these autos are very picky about the quality & quantity of fluid in them. First thing I would do is change it and see what happens. Made a world of difference in my turbo 3AT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users