Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sea foam, how much it to much

i was wondering how much sea foam i could put in my oil. couple of days ago i put about 4 oz in, it seemed to help with the lift noise for like an hour of driving, then the noise started up again. then today i put 5-6 oz in and didn't do a thing but i didn't drive all that long, like 10 minutes or so. i also have a bunch of mmo in my oil, is there any problem with mixing with the two?

Also realize that seafoam and marvels both are thinner viscocity than your engine oil, so you need to take both into account when determining how much you're diluting your oil. I personally wouldn't go more than 1 quart in a 4-quart engine. If that much doesn't do it, more won't help.

Well, i wouldnt be running with oil that has both MMO and Seafoam for too long. If the oil is too thin it wont stick where it needs to, and wont do what its gotta do.

After an oil change on my old legacy, i developed a real bad case of the ticks. I had to drain alittle of the oil, replace with MMO to help thin it out and that still didnt work. So i took it on the freeway and maintained 80mph in 4th gear (rougly 7000rpm) and that did the trick.

-Brian

Haha well after I resealed the oil pump in "Project Cheap" it was still ticking like crazy...so I basically did the same thing (was half pissed off too) except not driving it. Wrapped it up to 6-7k and held it there for a few minutes until it went away. Sometimes a good wrapping up is what it takes to get those lifters pumped up I think....or I was just beating the heck out of the engine and it decided to quit out of coincidence.

if you used any ultra grey sealant on anything like the cam carriers or oil pump housing, that can cause tapping as well. it'll get sucked up and caught in an oil port and retstrict oil flow to the HLA's. that's why anaerobic sealant should be used. someone on xt6.net sealed an oil pump or cam carrier with ultragrey and had tapping that wouldn't go away. he eventually tore it back down and found the ultragrey plugged into an oil port. posted pictures of it as well....may have posted on a different group though, i can't remember but i know he's on xt6.net sometimes.