Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stock outbacks really meant for offroading?

97OBW

are stock 97'outbacks ment for offroading at all?? i see that theres almost no trenches you can get through because of the short groundclearance.....and whats so special about our awd system?( not being sarcastic, i really want to know why or whats so advanced) does my 97' outback even have traction control? i can spin the tires all the time in rain....

You may not understand this yet, but there is alot more to "off roading" then simply slamming your car through the forest. Each and every vehicle built has a limit. Will your stock OBW keep up with a rock crawler???? Not a chance. Will it allow you to see some beautiful back road scenery??? Absolutly. How far you can take your car will grow as you gain experience and finese. I personaly would never take my 97 OBW off road, why?? Because I love the car and that's not what I bought it for. You may have other ideas and plans, just learn what you and it are capable of before you go ditch hopping (please remember, learning takes time). My suggestion, get a beater to practice on, maybe a jeep or something like that:grin: . Later, Tim

Being 16 only a few short years ago, i can attest to the fact that one does stupid things when friends are in the car. heck, i still tried the same things when i was 22. long story short, had it not been for the expert spotting of one of the "Godfathers" of Subaru, my dad's brand new forester would be in much, much worse shape.

Please, don't ruin your dad's car.

I concur with tim, get a beater and learn on that, surgeons start on cadavers, cheaper and safer.

The Outback is nothing more than a trim package. It has nothing to do with it's ability to off-road. If it did, it would have a whole lot more modifications. The car as it is sold in the US is not setup for "Off-Roading". It's real market is snow.

If you had an Australian Outback of the same year you would have a dual range transmission and lots of potential for Off-Roading.

With a bit of common sence you can get any reasonable car quite a ways off the beaten path--but just like a Jeep it will only go so far with out modifications.

But the bottom line answer is No! (it not really meant for off-roading)

I can't get (the Forester) to spin a wheel going Uphill, around a corner, in gravel, Floored!

Enjoy the car for what it is.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

You may not understand this yet, but there is alot more to "off roading" then simply slamming your car through the forest. Each and every vehicle built has a limit. Will your stock OBW keep up with a rock crawler???? Not a chance. Will it allow you to see some beautiful back road scenery??? Absolutly. How far you can take your car will grow as you gain experience and finese. I personaly would never take my 97 OBW off road, why?? Because I love the car and that's not what I bought it for. You may have other ideas and plans, just learn what you and it are capable of before you go ditch hopping (please remember, learning takes time). My suggestion, get a beater to practice on, maybe a jeep or something like that:grin: . Later, Tim

well said man!!

whoa man!

i used to romp the FS roads from Washington to Cali in my outback lifted lego not too long ago. My 94 GT came with the body effects and all the bells and whistles, did that stop me from getting hung up in the middle of the desert with a pinched header or ripping the exaust right off the flanges having to be ghetto rigged up by a nylon belt screeching against the driveshaft.....no.

My OB lifted LEGO was done entirely on junkyard parts and finished in a weekend. It provided endless hours of fun...and those few moments of sheer teror that go along with it.

But i bought the car for $3k and got $5k when it was wrecked, so i really didnt have much to loose except a sweet as 2.2l. Now im rompin round in a car that is only two years youger then i am with blown suspesion and a freaking carb...you only live once, subie parts are cheep!

would i get stuck in like a 1foot mud trench?? ive already taken it on dirt/gravel trail which was fun, but felt like almost any car can do it(though i did bottom out a couple of times). I also went through some long rump roast wheat grass that was taller than my roof line! that was very fun to me for some reason....i figured out why people have brush guards...globs of fresh green grass came out of the radiator compartment a couple of days later when my dad went to go get its engine washed