Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Subaru 4WD Turbowagon

Kernzie

I have a '84 Subaru Turbo that has somehow zapped the Electronic Control Module. It floods the engine on start-up but if you can keep it running long enough it will warm up and run like a top. A new one is prohibitive to buy and I haven't had any luck finding a used one. (It has to be for the fairly rare Turbo model with multiport fuel injection)

The car would go right the the wrecker if I hadn't rebuilt the engine and put a clutch in a couple of years back.

Does anybody know where I could find one or if there is something else I can do??

hmm.. what makes you rhink the ECM/ECU is zapped.. when mine went up in smoke the car wouldn't even start!..no fuel pump, spark or injector pulses..

Unfortunately my knowledge doesn't extend to EA81 turbos, but on an EA82, there' s an electronically controlled valve that regulates idle when cold. there's also a coolant temp sensor that helps the ECU control fuel mixture.

Have you tested the ecu?

If you decide its going to the wrecker anyway, let me know

Might check your O2 sensor as well - that's been known to screw up an otherwise good system. I had mine go (84 feedback carb), and the engine wouldn't run. Disconnected it, and it came back to life. The temp sensor on the same car was also bad, but didn't cause it to stop running. Also - can you read the codes from your ECU? Should be a little flashing light on it..... mine gave me codes for both the O2 and Temp sensor - led me straight to the problem. Very informative, and easier than hunting down the sensor by testing everything.

GD

good info given thus far.

Cold flooding? Could it be running lean??

that is what a bad or corroded CS will cause.

ah? a clutch on a turbo EA81?? a.k.a. EA81T

Hey guys - did we miss something here?

Who did the swap, thought they all came with slushbox trannies?

I am very happy to see another ea81T owner on here!

Very happy to see another ea81T car with a manual trans in it.

I know of a handful so far that have been done.

Mick's old Turbo Brat, that I temporarily owned.

RGuyver technically had this config but his was just MPFI I think.

SuperRallyVovo? Currently working on something like this.

My 83 Turbo wagon with be using an 88 RX 5spd trans.

And now this one.

Originally posted by Kernzie

I have a '84 Subaru Turbo that has somehow zapped the Electronic Control Module.

Does anybody know where I could find one or if there is something else I can do??

http://www.car-part.com/

Lists about nine of them, $75 to $125

But a dead ECU is pretty rare. Get it to tell you the codes, and it'll often send you right to the bad part.

http://usmb.net/repair/?CurrentDirectory=FOLDER_3f29dd8b7a4f46.89471656/&FileType=Article&File=ARTICLE_3f53a13f7c7491.41102012.art

Thanks for all the responses!

FYI - Checked the resistance of the temp sensor, its OK. Replaced it and cleaned the contacts anyway, still no luck

Subaru guys (non-dealer) swear it is the ECU and say they have seen the same thing before.

I'm going to try to get some codes read and see if there is anything more I can do.

Went and picked the car up last night from the mechanic and although it was a battle I kept her going until it warmed up and started running properly.

I'll keep ya posted

Kernzie

FYI. The car is an 84 (old body style) and I had the auto taken out and a 4sp put in.

Rebuilt the engine - new heads were $400 Cdn a side!

If anybody has a ECU or wants a good parts car e-mail me.

(I have an extra rad, aluminium rims with summer tires from an 82 2-door, gold painted stock rims with winter tires and some odds and ends as well)

Kernzie

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Whippet for sending me an ECU. It works!!! Problem solved.

Thanks to USMB for providing a forum where we can get the information and parts we need to keep our Soobs alive and kicking. I was starting to feel like I was alone in the world having a rare car with nobody besides a Subaru mechanic who knew anything about it

:banana::headbang:

Word to the wise - Whippet is a good guy and was very good about sending it right away cheers:drunk:

Word to the wise2 - If you're going to send things to Canada spend the extra $$ and send them by courier. I told Whippet to send them regular snail mail to save money and it took close to a MONTH! to get here! As well make sure that you explain in detail what is in the package or our Customs people will get even slower.

Kernzie

Hey that 84 Turbo Coupe has the same wheels I do (star aluminium). I believe they come from an 81 coupe. Is this correct?

I am glad to get the ECU Whippet but was sorry to see the damage on your daughters coupe from where it came. :boohoo:

Two coupes hit in front of your houses! Hope this isn't a trend! I think I'll find a safe place to park my 84 Turbowagon.