Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch job-pull engine or transaxle?

98 Forester 147k. Did the head gaskets in the car at 130k. Definitely needs a clutch. I think it is its original but am not sure.

Am I better off pulling the engine than the transaxle? Never pulled a transaxlw before, and I don't like working under the car (whomp!). I have a chain fall and a bucket loader to lift with.

I am grateful for your opinions.

Tom

Al_SemC and I did my clutch job by pulling the transmission. Well, not so much pulling as backing it out six inches or so. Given limited tools and young backs, it seems like the way to go.

I guess the question is, would you rather deal with fuel lines, the A/C and power steering pumps, coolant, vacuum lines, and wiring, or rusty suspension components? I think we made the right choice.

That's definitely cool. My neighbor across the street has the same equipment and was out there last weekend with it and a chain attached to the front of his Nissan. Turns out his wife had rear-ended someone and he was using the rig to straight the front bumper support! Creative body work! Gotta love that.

Definitely pull the engine. It's a lot less work than dropping the tranny, and you don't have to lie on your back for nearly as long.

You use a loader to pull your engines? Now I don't feel like the only massive redneck on here:D .

310readersrides4.JPG

pulling the engine is probably the way to go for most people. that being said........

Definitely pull the engine. It's a lot less work than dropping the tranny,

not really more work for me, just easy to work with being above the car. in my oppinion the transmission comes out much easier than the motor. i'm fairly confident i could have a transmission on the ground much faster than someone could have a motor out. there's throttle cables, engine mounts, intakes, heater core hoses, coolant/radiator hoses, wiring harnesses, ground wires, a/c lines, exhaust manifolds....there's more stuff to remove when pulling a motor.

now getting the trans back in is always the pain. under the car, on your back and trying to maneuver it in place....that's the more work part on the install.

if there's anything to attend to on the motor - timing belts, seals, gaskets...do it with the motor out. do those valve cover seals. super easy with the motor out, annoying in the car. timing belts?

on my 97OBW, the engine seemed ok sitting where it was, so I used the motor hoist to hold the tranny up from the top. I had to get underneath to unbolt, and line up and bolt back on, but lots easier with the hoist helping. Seemed to work ok, and MUCH faster than removing the engine... YMMV