Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fellow offroader missing, please help...WA

I received this mail today, a co-workers son is missing. Please watch for the missing Jeep around trailheads or anywhere. He started in Washingtn and presumed to be in Washington but could be anywhere, Oregon, Idaho, etc, etc.

Thanks for your help...

Thank you for your concern and offer to check out trail heads. It is hell to lose a kid.

Yes, it was I who wongleflute heard on the radio. We found out last Tuesday evening that our estranged son hadn't been seen or heard from for 30 days. He is in the habit of going climbing alone without telling anyone where he is going, for how long and where he is leaving the car.

That led to bad feelings between us, 3 years ago so he moved out.

Now, no one has a clue where he is but I suspect he went climbing and is dead someplace. The key is to try to find his 1990 Red Jeep Cherokee. It is a little like looking for a needle in a hay stack. There are hundreds of trail heads in the Cascades. Since I wasn't getting any help from the Forest Service Police Departments or Sheriffs' Offices, I sent out an email barrage to the climbing community. Wow, within hours, my message was posted to all sorts of climbing web sites and the next day, Search and Rescue Departments were calling with offer to help. People I don't even know offered to help. By Friday night, every trail head in Snohomish County had been checked. By Sunday night, all of King County had been checked and half of Kittitas County and the North Cascades Highway. The King County Journal ran our story Saturday and I was on KOMO TV and radio Sunday and today. I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of help.

Today, I barraged the 4WD clubs in Washington and as soon as the snow gets deeper, I will contact the back country skiers and snow mobilers. My plan is to inform as many people as possible who will be in the hills anyway. If half of them know about the missing Cherokee, we have a chance. Bottom line is that I can't efficiently take you up on your offer now. But with some luck, I will be able to soon. In the mean time, if you are on a gravel road, look for a 1990 Red Jeep Cherokee, license number 421PDV. I think he is north of I-90.

Thanks for you concern and offer,

Jim.