Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4wd shifter sitting weird

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 myfinalcoffinx

myfinalcoffinx

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • SF

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:09 PM

My 1982 GL wagon's 4wd shift lever sits weird, and let me explain.

A couple years ago, right after I got the car, the engine gave out and we had to get it swapped. That was fine, but when that happened, for some reason, the person who dropped it in hooked something up weird and now the shift lever doesn't sit "flush" to the panel like it did before. Now, instead of sitting at 0 degrees, it is at approximately 20 degrees and whenever I slow too fast to a stop (or even sometimes from "freeway speed" to "offramp speed"), it pushes it even further up, sometimes nearly engaging the 4wd.

So my question is this: where should I look for a solution? Is it a matter of an adjustment or what. I've poked around a little bit, but I'm unable to locate the reason it sits weird.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,662 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:24 AM

unscrew the shifter knob and take op the cover plate. remove the 6 screws and the metal ring to take up the innere boot. the inner boot is fixed to the 4wd lever so you will have to inside-out the boot

there you will see the 4wd lever connected to the rod to the tranny. chances are this rod is on upside down, the rod should be on the bottom and the mounting tab cacing up vertically. if its the other way around then there is your problem

#3 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:36 AM

Miles, is there anything about Subaru's you don't know?

#4 myfinalcoffinx

myfinalcoffinx

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • SF

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:35 AM

It's kinda late, and I don't feel like checking right now, but lets suppose that is the problem, how do you recommend I fix it? Is it worth it, and is it time consuming?

Thanks!

unscrew the shifter knob and take op the cover plate. remove the 6 screws and the metal ring to take up the innere boot. the inner boot is fixed to the 4wd lever so you will have to inside-out the boot

there you will see the 4wd lever connected to the rod to the tranny. chances are this rod is on upside down, the rod should be on the bottom and the mounting tab cacing up vertically. if its the other way around then there is your problem

#5 myfinalcoffinx

myfinalcoffinx

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • SF

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:13 PM

As it turns out, there is an adjustment that I missed my first go-around. I had to pull the rear-most panel off (the one that holds the parking brake.) In there, there is a plate with an adjustment for the exact purpose of moving the lever. Made the proper adjustment, and haven't had a problem since!

#6 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

Cool. My money was on the pitch stopper being gone or not tight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users