Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjustable struts on 85-86 4wd GL's

I need help finding part codes or numbers for the MANUALY adjustable struts that were available on 85-86 4wd GL's. Mine is a wagon.

the lamb subaru nissan dealer in prescott doesn't have a clue what to look for on his computer, i spent a half hour talking to the guy with my neck curled around the desk to try and point it out. No diagram's...not even a PHOTO of the thing....nothing.:banghead:

He couldn't run my VIN to get my car on the screen.

Manufactured 12/84 EA82 1985 GL Wagon 4WD 5speed manual w/ dual range tranny.

Allison auto...the parts store had the book but couldn't find the manually adjustable ones...only air ride....i assumed he ment electric pneumatic like those on some rare legos.

Any beta on part codes would be delightful for them dang struts. front and back.

neal

That must be a lame dealer.

Original front struts were 21009 GA281(RH) and GA291(LH).

Rear shocks are 21022 GA840(1985) and 21007 GA880.

Air ride fronts

RF - 21081GA003 LF - 21081GA013

Standard Rears

RR - 21022GA841 LR - 21022GA841

I've also got:

21009 GA101 any clue on it?

Neal

Air ride fronts

RF - 21081GA003 LF - 21081GA013

Standard Rears

RR - 21022GA841 LR - 21022GA841

I've also got:

21009 GA101 any clue on it?

Neal

First ones are May 87 up,4D or wagon, w/turbo and single range or auto 4wd.

GA 101 is a 85-86 RH front from a 2wd wagon w/o PS.

Not sure about the rears.

but im still stumped on the part codes for the adjustable front and rears.

neal

Rear height adjustment is not done with the shock, but with the torsion bar adjustment under the car (at least that's the case with my '84 Brat; I suspect it's the same for the '85 wagon).

Rear height adjustment is not done with the shock, but with the torsion bar adjustment under the car (at least that's the case with my '84 Brat; I suspect it's the same for the '85 wagon).
Some models in 85, 86 in the rear have coil over shocks that on the bottom had an adjuster ring like on older motorcycles. My 86 wagon has the coilover not a torsion adjustment. I am looking to replace all 4 of my adjustable struts, shocks.That number from monroe would be great!

18_1_31.gif

Some models in 85, 86 in the rear have coil over shocks that on the bottom had an adjuster ring like on older motorcycles. My 86 wagon has the coilover not a torsion adjustment. I am looking to replace all 4 of my adjustable struts, shocks.That number from monroe would be great!

18_1_31.gif

i currently have springs and struts on the rear. from what ive read out of earlier posts it seems that the rears are adjustable from the top of the strut towers with the aid of a torsion bar.

neal

On my '85 and '86 wagons, the rear shock was the adjustable part, as long as it wasn't rusted together too badly. I think it was ea-81 style vehicles that had the torsion-bar adjustment.

The rears had a shock that could be adjusted to either a low or high position. On both my cars, the shocks were rusted solid in the low position.

On my '85 and '86 wagons, the rear shock was the adjustable part, as long as it wasn't rusted together too badly. I think it was ea-81 style vehicles that had the torsion-bar adjustment.

The rears had a shock that could be adjusted to either a low or high position. On both my cars, the shocks were rusted solid in the low position.

I am lucky my car came from arizona so very little rust! Have had mine up for two years now but i go throu tires like mad so i just find good used one cheap and keep changing every 6 months. icon11.gif

i've got more or less anyone that has anything to do with subarus in this town looking for the right part numbers.

the car is laid up right now with a broken cv axle:banghead:

hopefully someone will see this and have an idea on how to get these dang struts or their part codes.

neal