Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dead tape deck 98 outback legacy limited

If you still want to use the tape deck, open it up and check inasmuch as most of them have a single rubber band belt that make them run. It will be broken and dried out. Check around for a replacement, replace and voila, outdated technology brought back to life... long live the 8 track!

Thank YOU!

Many of us (I have a 97 OB) have put in the newer double DIN 6 CD changer / radio / tape deck. You lose the pocket underneath, but it is worth it. The Subaru Panasonic P123 plugs right in. Same connector. I think the newer ones that came out a couple years ago do as well, but not positive.

Commuter

Many of us (I have a 97 OB) have put in the newer double DIN 6 CD changer / radio / tape deck. You lose the pocket underneath, but it is worth it. The Subaru Panasonic P123 plugs right in. Same connector. I think the newer ones that came out a couple years ago do as well, but not positive.

Commuter

Thank you, where do you locate the cd changer? Is it less convenient than in the dash?

jeffrey