Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gaskets set, Better than Others?

I am going to dig into my new 1990 Loyale ea82 turbo, and I was wondering if there are head gasket sets that are better then others. Also I have a step by step of what to do, that was from a school database but it kind of sucks and I can't find any step by step in using search. ANy leads on where I can find a good step by step would be great

with turbocharged head gaskets i would suggest OE. Get a haynes manual, as they cover it pretty well. There may be an aftermarket kit for cylinder head gaskets (my barin is foggy so i cant rember who would make them), as they are pretty good. I have used aftermarket engine rebuild kits, which usually have the same gaskets or better then subaru. Google it and let us know what you find.

nipper

For a stock turbo car, OE gaskets are the way to go. I know some have had good luck with the FelPro PTs as well..

I got my most recent set of OE gaskets from www.1stsubaruparts.com

IIRc, it was around $45 shipped for a pair.

I didn't order a 'kit', as I had just recently purchased a complete gasket kit for the whole motor (OE as well).. But the gaskets bit the dust during installation when the block stripped out (another long painful story:-p )

I just found some at this website: http://replacement.car-stuff.com for a 118.00 something for the oem. I am going to pick up a repair manual as well, as I will need one I am sure. All of the Haynes ones I see cover a broad range of years, does it cover every car during that year and if so are there any that are specific to years and models.

A few queastions about this head gasket replacement. I have removed everything and labled all the wires and hoses and am now getting to the parts removal stage. I am not quite sure of if I am going to have to remove the power steering pump , dont think I do. Let me know if ya know, thatd be superb.

I didn't order a 'kit', as I had just recently purchased a complete gasket kit for the whole motor (OE as well).. But the gaskets bit the dust during installation when the block stripped out (another long painful story:-p )

I think I share this same painful journey.

The lesson I learned for next time is to torque down the studs with the head off to see if they are stripped! (peaceful glow)

Have you read this

and this

You can find those here

I found them very helpful.

on yeah by the way here is a service manual on the internet.

I just found some at this website: http://replacement.car-stuff.com for a 118.00 something for the oem. I am going to pick up a repair manual as well, as I will need one I am sure. All of the Haynes ones I see cover a broad range of years, does it cover every car during that year and if so are there any that are specific to years and models.

In all honesty, subarus dont really change much from year to year within a given a engine design. If there is a change that you need to know about they will note it.

Go with haynes.

nipper

I am now to the timing belt removal and it seems that I should only have to remove the left and right outer most parts and not everything, but my manual doesnt make it clear. The manual refers me to timing belt removal and says I need to undue the crankshaft and take off the starter motor but I am pretty sure I dont need to do this, is any one knows I would love to as well. huh? anyone? anyone?

I am now to the timing belt removal and it seems that I should only have to remove the left and right outer most parts and not everything, but my manual doesnt make it clear. The manual refers me to timing belt removal and says I need to undue the crankshaft and take off the starter motor but I am pretty sure I dont need to do this, is any one knows I would love to as well. huh? anyone? anyone?

I can't see any reason you'd need to take off the starter motor. As far as the crank pulley and stuff, you MAY have to take off the center portion of the timing belt cover, but I really am not sure. I wouldn't take any of that stuff off until it looks absolutely necessary. However, if your timing belts are not new, this would be a great time to change them.

Good luck!

I pulled one of the hoses that is going into the valve cover, it is the thickest one, it meats in the middle with the other valve cover. Well that mother was clogged with brown, bronze crud, I mean clogged. That is the side that has the blown head gasket so Im sure they are related, anyone know what this is and if their is anything I should do because of it.