Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very odd Noise and Vibration

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forums here but I found these by searching for an answer to my problem here. I have a 95 Impreza L 1.8L. I've been driving the car since January. I got the car with 99,000 miles on it. The lady I bought it from had it serviced NO WHERE ELSE except the Subaru dealership. I have put 15,000 miles on it since january. Here comes the main problems: The first is when the car is cold and I start to drive it, there is a slight grind when I shift from 1st to 2nd. Never when I downshift, and never after it's warm. Any suggestions? It has been this way since I have had it, and the woman I bought it from said it's always been like that for her also. Next problem, when I'm driving, and generally when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and sometimes 3rd to 4th, I get a *thwapping* sound comming from what sounds like the front of the car. To get an idea of what it sounds like, smack your hand lightly off of a wooden table, and that's the sound exactly. I have had all the ball joints and whatnot inspected, all good and solid with no play, I have replaced the CV boots. I installed all new brakes the whole way around. The sound originally would only do it when it was cold. Then here and there. And now it's constant. I can generally go to about 55-65 MPH and when I hit 66 or above, I'll hear a louder *thwap* sound and then sometimes it will go away and then others it will make the car vibrate. One of my friends feels it may be the axles, and in that case I'll be generally annoyed. I'm an avid lover of the Subie and would love to keep mine on the road longer before I buy a new one. Thank you so much in advance for any help you might provide me, and sorry about the long post, just wanting to get it fixed.

Regards,

Brandon Bartolomucci

'95 Impreza L

Thanks for the reply Ed. I'm guessing that's what it is also, oh well, I guess i"ll just live with the noise until the axel breaks because as everyone else on here states, if it isn't broke, don't fix it and the car still drives and rides alright enough for me. Thanks for replying though it gives me a little more solid guide to what is actually wrong. ~bart