Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 outback electrical fire

Hi All,

The other day when I went to turn on my ignition, smoke started to billow out from behind the dash on my 2000 outback. I quickly turned it off before a big fire started. It turned out the smoke was coming from the area of my fusebox. I pulled the little coin tray out and took a look inside. There's a thick bundle of wires that I think run from my dash to the fuse box and it was positioned right up against a sharp gold colored metal part of the car. The bundle of wires was basically sandwiched between the metal part and the little pull down tray. I guess everytime the tray was pulled out, it would cause the bundle to chafe a bit more.

The chafing caused a big short circuit and burned most of the wires in the bundle. I have lost most electrical functions such as dash instruments, power window, fan, and electronic shift. The car is at the dealership undergoing diagnostics to find the full extend of the damage.

I have never had my electrical system worked on before. No aftermarket stereo or alarm have ever been installed. It came from the factory like this. I bought the outback in part with saftey in mind so this is quite distressing. This situation was very dangerous as I could have been driving down the highway with my 2 year old in the back when this happened.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Thanks

Thanks.

Is the NHTSA only for the USA? If so, is there a Canadian equivalent?

BoarderM

I think they overlap, as any saftey reacall or study tends to cover north america. Do a google search for auto recalls canada...but i think NHTSA is accepted everywhere in north america.

nipper

Sorry but I don't have any pictures. This happened in the parking lot at work and rendered the car dead in the water. It was towed to my dealership right away. I'm kicking myself now for not getting any pictures as the insurance co. and the dealership have probably taken everything apart now.

You may have signed away ownership of any parts they replaced. I've seen statements like that in various mechanics' fine print. Such fine print allows them to sell your cores, and it protects them from your Uncle Bob's opinions about the thickness of your old brake rotors.

If they fix the car under warrenty of some kind, they own the parts. They will send them back to engineering and try to figure out what went wrong.

I know in the US (i think all states) you are entitled to the old parts, but if there is a core charge of any kind you have to pay the charge.

nipper