Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch question??

I,ve got an 85 brat ,clutch is starting to slip. I plan on putting in new of course:boohoo: What I need to know is ?? I heard you could use 9" off of 83 gl . IS THIS TRUE ? WHAT ALL DO I NEED?

Do I need the complete kit + flywheel, just the disc and pressure plate?what? I,d really like the 9" conversion but I need the advise of those who have done it. :-\ all help is appreciated

An 85 brat should have come with the same clutch as an 83 GL 4wd.

For the new parts, I recommend getting a clutch kit that includes: a new disk, pressure plate, release bearing (aka throw out bearing) and pilot bearing. I also recommend getting a new release bearing holder; this is the part the release bearing presses onto.

Okay! so what would be best possible set up using same motor tranny,I can't afford tranny swap although 5 speed sounds nice.

I thought some one posted clutch size on brat is 8 something and gl had 9.I know that a high performance clutch would be good also it's the money that I can't afford.(4 kids sucks about about every penny I got)