Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Whatsthisdo?? (pix)

I have the GL10 Turbo wagon in the garage, and i pulled the intake plentum off (i believe thats what its called) and found myself confused.

I know the basic's. But theres alot i still dont know about the EA82, and expecially the EA82T. The engine looks very clean overall, im suprised. Its been sitting for 4 months, and has webs everywhere, but not much oil. I noticed the turbo had some oil residue pooled up around the rubber tube though.

I took a picture of the engine, and marked some sections i have questions on.

whatsthis.jpg

1st off, I think its safe to say, the intercooler goes between point A and point B... correct? I noticed alittle oil inside of point A, but the throttle body was very clean.

What is the purpose of the hose marked C? I noticed it goes into the plentum, is it neccessary?

Also, part D looks like it might be damaged. The top was off and I noticed a red and black wire inside. Tried to put the top of it on, but its real loose, not sure if its been damaged, but what does it do? and can it be modified :)

Since this car is in my garage, i figure'd i'd wrench alittle and learn alot. I plan to make this car fast. Skip and SubaruTex, there is alot i have to ask you guys :)

After its fast, i will sell it off to someone on the USMB (prefferably in Oregon or Washington, where there is no smog)

-Brian

Brian - nice find. good shot of the Hot wire MAF

You are correct

A -turbo outlet

to

B - throtttle body (intake manifold) inlet

is where you put the IC

C - is part of the PCV system and is connected to the the MAF to turbo pipe. It and the other lines connected to the plastic "triple tree" all have a function in the venting and control of crank case vapors. DO NOT restrict the flow of these vapors as a positive crank case pressure will blow cam seals our (BTDT)

I have all of my PVC vent lines run to a commom filter to keep oil out of my intake tract. A new Subaru PCV valve will help control the oil in these lines.

D - is the electrical connection for the AAV (Aux. Air Valve) it increases the idle speed via ECU control when the engine is cold.

Mine was also broken. As long as the electrical parts are intact and it works (increased idle at cold start up) glue the top back on with some silcone. The top portion is isolated from the vacuum control chamber below.

Note: the electrical connector on the top is the same as you will find on many components - these are fun to remove -two short pieces of solid core wire will help hold the clips out and the boots love to crack and break allowing H20 to enter and corrode the connections.

as I said - it is just a start. Some one else fills will fill in the details.

Skip, the way you said that makes me think the Hot Wire MAF is either desired to have, or at least pictures of one. Let me know if you want more detailed shots.

That idle control works, and almost too good. As long as I can glue it on and not worry about it blowing something up, im cool with that.

Thanks Skip.

-Brian

Brian,

the comment on the hot wire MAF

Some people do not know if they have a Hot Wire or Vane (a.k.a. flapper door) set up. Your picture will let them identify the fuel system they have, nice work.

Yes on the AAV, mine has been "silly conned" for over a year with snow worries, mate.

Have fun and welcome to the world of the EA82T

I dont think im going to need another one corky, but thanks for the offer.

I'm curious as to what the oil in the turbo means?? I have to fix a fuel line before i can crank it over for a compression test, but im worried about the oil i found in the turbo. Will the turbo need to be replaced, or resealed, or is that just normal?

-Brian

Someone explained it real well in another post recently, I think it was in the post on turbo rebuilding. It is common, I ran across one in a junkyard that was full of oil, which is probably why it was there. Anyway, I believe it has something to do with object 'C' in your photo, replacing the PCV will go a long way towards fixing that problem.

I put a new PCV valve in this car about 6 months ago, the last time it was driven daily. I got it from Kragen, but it helped alittle. I noticed alot of the hoses under the car are cracked real bad. The hose leading from the drivers side valve cover is completly missing. I think im going to goto the junkyard and grab some new(er) hoses unless i find a deal somewhere for a spool of hoses thats the right diameter.

-Brian

When I replaced the PCV hoses on my XT, with the EA82T, I just used heater hose. I bought, like, 3 feet of several different sizes, and found 2 different sizes that worked out great. Hopefully, being heater hose, they will stand up to the underhood temps. And boy, are they a WHOLE lot more flexable then the ones I took off. The old ones cracked, and fell apart...Like they were thin wall PVC or something...

Anyhow...

RedLance

William is correct, I am wrong. The hose pictured as "C" does

connect to the lower side of the intake plenum and is coming from the AAV.

Sorry for the misinformation.

BTW many posts have stated that the non genuine PCV valves for turbos are not to be used. They cause problems with oil in the intake tract.

For the price you should use a Subaru part for this.

Not really....it wont read vac. But if you dont care about that, then you can do that. It will not read what the actual intake presure is tho...My guage is "reading" past the throttle plate. Id like to have another one, one to read before the thro. plate.

a naturally aspirated engine runs in vacuum all the time. A turbo or supercharged (called forced induction) car runs in vaccuum till the forced induction raises the pressure above the theoretical value of 0. At this point, it can be said you are getting positive pressure.

For my boost gauge, i tee'd into the one of the 2 vaccuum lines on the front of the throttle body. When looking at your picture, they should be directly underneath that plastic protector, and sort of behind and closer to the throttle body than the fuel lines.

You can run your boost guage into any place the see's boost, although if you have boost/vacume guage, then it will need to be below the throttle plate. And NA cars don't run in vacume all the time, at WOT or close to it, almost all NA cars will have a value of 0.

Hey Brian, what is ment by not reading vacume is that above the throttle plate there is no actual vacume, the "vacume" is caused by the motors air intake being restricted by the throttle plate (which is why diesel motors don't pull vacume). So you NEED to put the vac/boost guage under the throttle plate.

Also is this car an auto? or Manual?