Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Whatsthisdo?? (pix)

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

The hose leading from the drivers side valve cover is completly missing.

I priced that hose for an '86 turbo, and it was something like $30 from the dealer. Not too bad.

Originally posted by RedLance

When I replaced the PCV hoses on my XT, with the EA82T, I just used heater hose. I bought, like, 3 feet of several different sizes, and found 2 different sizes that worked out great. Hopefully, being heater hose, they will stand up to the underhood temps.

It's not the temperature that'll kill heater hose, it's the constant exposure to oil. Heater hose swells and rots quite quickly when oil is on the inside -- the exteriour jacket is oil-resistant, but the inner isn't.

Originally posted by Adam N.D.J.

And NA cars don't run in vacume all the time, at WOT or close to it, almost all NA cars will have a value of 0.

FI engines will usually read pretty close to zero pressure at WOT. Carb'd engines won't: they require a venturi diameter that is a lower ratio of venturi dia. to plenum dia. in order to get decent low-speed aspiration of fuel.

(which is why diesel motors don't pull vacume).
I know of at least two diesel engines that utilize intake throttles, one of which absolutely requires manifold vacuum to operate: all MB diesels from the 220D series and older. Their injection pumps utilize an aneroid (bellows) connected to the intake manifold, to vary injection stroke. Your foot controls a throttle butterfly just as if it was a carb'd engine. Idles quietly, too (for the period).

The other one I know about is the LD28 Nissan diesel, which uses an intake throttle plate under computer control, to enhance EGR operation and provide a quiet idle.

Brian, I agree with everyone else: plumb the vac/boost gauge (an old fuel pump pressure tester?) to the engine side of throttle body. I don't recall the turbo plumbing arrangements, but generically the power brake booster line is a good place: plenty of cross-section area so the gauge can get a decent signal.