Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On occasion, when I want to start the car, it won't. I turn the key to the start position but nothing happens. After several tries, it starts normally and runs fine.

I was thinking this could be the starter contacts again (but fixed that only 35k ago).

Recently I got a check engine light and the code is crank angle sensor (had it checked). My mechanic says I need a new one. Is that what you guys think too? Couldn't it be the starter again? How can I test the sensor to make sure? Is it easy to get out?

Thanks for any advice :-)

why not just pull the codes and verify it what code is in there.

My car has been doing something very similar, and I too have just replaced the starter contacts.

I've also just replaced cam & crank sensors, ignition is about the only thing left I can think of.....or possibly an ECU. But it's very sporadic as to when it does it. There's only been one time where it wouldn't start for a good 5-10 min......and of course that was when I had to go to the airport to go out of town.....grrr

I'd be interested in some test procedure to verify the ignition or some other componant.

With symptoms such as you both get, why not, if manuel trans, look at the clutch pedal start defeat switch and at the starter's relay (under the dash) and if auto trans at the starter's relay also and at the trans starter defeat switches (dont know much about those, only that it's more complicated than with a mt).

I would look at that before tampering with the ECU.

The are a few wearing components on this ealectrical system.

The ignition switch, the clutch lock out switch, and the solenoid contacts.

Do you have a remote starter switch? If not go to an auto parts store and buy one. If you want to play mechanic you need some tools. While you are there get a test light.

Connect the remote starter switch to the solenoid when it misbehaves. If it turns over then it is not the solenoid contacts.

Then jump past the clutch lock out switch. If it works then you got off easy.

If it is the ignition contacts I would consider wiring in an auxilliary starter switch if the car is old.

It also acts as a theft deterrent.

Just don't be like me and hop in and be surprised when it does not start till you remember the switch.

The joys of aging....

it will have a neutral safety switch instead of a clutch lock out switch. Same procedure, or you can just put the test light you just bought on it and see if you have power on both sides when in park or neutral.

The code should be a whole seperate issue. If I got that code I would clean the contacts and change the sensor.

Very good trouble shooting guide, Cookie.

I would only add the starter relay wich is under the dash left of the steering column (in my 96 Brighton at least...) This relay is in line with the clutch starter cut off switch. More precisely, the cluth switch acts as ground for this relay.

If it's the clutch switch, dont bother to buy and install a new one. Just bypass it permanently. That's what I did and I still depress the clutch every time I start just out of habit. Since it's a safe habit, i'm not fighting it. :cool:

Sometimes I am locked in the past when people actually used contacts that were tough enough to take the current intead of putting what is in effect two relays in a system.

All the solenoid is is a large relay after all.

I have not had any trouble with mine yet in this area to discover the extra relay so this is a learning day for me too.

Now if I can just remember that when I need to.....