Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

antifreeze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,928 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:20 AM

Is there any problem mixing the orange antifreeze with the old green type or should I drain the old and start fresh?
Is there a preferred of these two types for the Subaru 90 Loyale?

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,613 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:39 AM

it will work with the mix, but the orange life will only be as good as the green mixed in. but other than that it will still work like its supposed to.

also the orange stuff will find its way leaking through holes the green stuff wont leak thru.

the difference is the orange is extended life, but it doesnt do any good but cost more money if yer changin fluids every year!

but you can mix what you got and be good for at least as long as the green is rated for.

i would personally prefer the green stuff, we had an 87 spfi wagon that kept getting hot with the orange stuff, but it was leaking out of the same radiator that we had for green, which did not leak. havent tried orance since the radiator was replaced.....

#3 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:55 PM

I'm running my '88 on dex-cool (orange) stuff, and it's great so far. The car needed a new rad and water pump when I bought it, so after replacing those plus all my under-hood hoses (basically the entire cooling system), I figured I might as well make the switch. I flushed my system out very completely with hose water first, then soft water, and then deionized water. As long as my heater core holds up, this coolant should last until after the frame completely rusts out on this car.

The two coolant types are supposedly compatible, but I've heard stories about problems with some GM cars that would sludge up when the coolant types were mixed.

AFAIK, the biggest thing is to just make sure to use good water when mixing the antifreeze. Order of preference (best to worst): deionized water, distilled water, soft water, hard water. Hard water is better than no water, but deionized is best, if you can get it.

#4 asavage

asavage

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Port Townsend, Wash. 9836

Posted 30 September 2003 - 03:03 PM

There are at least four broad classes of auto coolant.

Of these, the "American" green stuff is using a silicate base for corrosion protection, and the "American" orange (Dex-Cool compatible) is using organic acids for corrosion protection -- is that non-intuitive, or what?

Do not mix silicate and organic acids corrosion protection: the result is far less corrosion protection than either alone.

Then there is the pink stuff spec'd for Chysler, and the Zerex G02(?) for '02-on Fords (yellow), that isn't compatible with the Prestone "Gold" stuff . . . and on and on.

Oh, as an aside: I have a printout of an article from somewhere on the 'net here, that implies that it isn't a good idea to use organic acid based coolants in systems that are using a copper/brass radiator or heater core. Newer cars seem to all use aluminum radiators etc. so I guess that's what they mean.

So, no Dex-cool for our old Soobs.

Flushing the old stuff out every two years/30k miles is about the best thing you can do for it, regardless of what water you're using -- though I use plain old distilled water myself. If you ever do a draw test (syringe it from the radiator, put it into a glass jar), you know how crappy the stuff looks after three years, and the green stuff will be distinctly brown after two years. Brown = rust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users