Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to fill auto trans fluid...?

To start, might I suggest creating a new section on the board that covers FAQs such as How-to's and recommended fluids/parts. I've been reading through a whole bunch of posts just trying to piece together the info I need to do the servicing for my car. This would save Subie noobies like me from potentially annoying the more experienced members here with such basic questions.

Anyway, on with the show...

I have a 1998 Legacy Outback 2.5L ATX. I would like to service all the fluids. So, I gather that the proper ATX fluid is Mercon III. After I drain the old fluid, how do I refill it? I understand there's a fill plug, but how do I actually get the fresh fluid in there? Is there enough room to tilt a bottle (I doubt it) or do I need a pump of some sort? The same question is for the gear oil. I understand it takes 75W-90, but how do I get it in there?

Thanks everyone.

To start, might I suggest creating a new section on the board that covers FAQs such as How-to's and recommended fluids/parts. I've been reading through a whole bunch of posts just trying to piece together the info I need to do the servicing for my car. This would save Subie noobies like me from potentially annoying the more experienced members here with such basic questions.

I have a 1998 Legacy Outback 2.5L ATX. I would like to service all the fluids. So, I gather that the proper ATX fluid is Mercon III. After I drain the old fluid, how do I refill it? I understand there's a fill plug, but how do I actually get the fresh fluid in there? Is there enough room to tilt a bottle (I doubt it) or do I need a pump of some sort? The same question is for the gear oil. I understand it takes 75W-90, but how do I get it in there?

Thanks everyone.

On my 96 GT wagon, you refill right down the dipstick tube. You just need a funnel with a long hose at the end, and pour slowly.

For the gear oil, in the front I think it's the same as the ATF - in through the filler tube.

In the rear, two drain plugs. Take'm both out to drain, put the bottom one back in, then add oil to the top hole until it starts coming out. Some sort of pump or squeeze bottle would work for this.

You dont totally getting all the tranny fluid through the drain hole. Most the fluid is in the torque converter. You need to repeat the procedure a few times to get even close to a full flush. This is the one place i gave in and paid somone to do it instead of driving on ramps-drain-fill-drive-repeat.

On the differential drains, just dont mix up the front and rear drain plugs.

nipper

Thanks everyone.

For refilling ATF, I found a "specialty funnel" (with a very long spout) at WalMart. The spout on this funnel is long enough that you can simply insert it into the dipstick tube and pour 4.5 qts of ATF right into the tube to refill the trans after draining it.

You need to use dextron III not mercon III. If the ATF fulfills both specs, that's fine, but it needs to be dextron III.

In addition to the previous comments, you need to have the engine running and slowly cycle through the gears and back to park before checking the atf level.

Dexron III... Right... I actually knew that... :banghead:

Thanks to everyone for their advise. I'm only interested in a drain-and-fill, and not a full system flush. I've done this before on other cars, so I'm not a complete newb. I was just looking for some specific info on the Subie. I know there's a fill plug, do I was wondering if I had to use that, or I can fill through the dip stick hole.

I'd suggest something like this to fill thru the dipstick tube (I don't know how you'd do it with a regular funnel):

45558.jpg

I used one kinda like that when I filled my auto trans fluid. Worked great. Mine had a little ball valve on it that also made things easier.

Oh, if you haven't figured it out already on your own, you don't even need to lift the car to drain, you can access the drain plug from behind the driver's side front wheel. I drained, filled, then drained and filled again and figured that was enough to get most of the old fluid out.

Steve

if/when you do the rear diff, make sure you can get the fill plug out before you take out the drain plug :) I haven't had that happen to me, but I've heard about it happening.

Wise words... :brow:

Is draining through the drain plug the best way to go? I know on a lot of trucks which usually don't have drain plugs, you have to take the diff cover off the pumpkin to drain the fluid. Since I bought this car used with over 136k miles on it, would it be a good idea to take the cover off to visually inspect that diff, or should I not worry about it and just drain and fill? The car seems to run fine with no noise from the rear diff.

BTW, for front and rear diffs and transmission draining, are any special tools needed, or will standard sockets do fine?