Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Towing Subaru Possibilities

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Quest

Quest

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Mukilteo

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

I have a 1997 Subaru Outback (automatic). I recently pulled out the owner manual because another Subaru owner asked about towing. I always thought that you had to tow Subarus with all 4 wheels off the road. It appears that you can tow it with 4 wheels on the ground or 2 up... though all 4 off the road is the recommended way.

It indicates with 4 on the road that you only want to go a limited distance and speed... good luck getting a tow truck driver to go under 20 mph. It never really indicates any issues or restrictions with the 2 up and 2 down.... are there?

#2 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

A coworker of mine ruined his transmission by towing 2 up 2 down for about 30 miles.

If you disconnect the driveshaft, you can leave the rear wheels on the road with no problems...you just can't turn the tranny without the engine running because it doesn't lubricate the bearings and stuff properly. Same goes for flat towing...short distances are okay, but that's it. Most tow companies are switching over to those big flatbed trucks so that they don't have to deal with liability issues surrounding towing vehicles with wheels still on the ground and damaging drive components.

#3 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:12 PM

even when i had my gl with dual range (2 up-2 down),i still asked for a flat bed.

that reminded me of what i saw last week.tow truck driver was towing a jeep g/c with 2 up an 2 down.that in itself didn't seem weird but the fact that the front wheels(which were off the ground) were spinning.which means that it was in 4wd.

#4 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:15 PM

...you just can't turn the tranny without the engine running because it doesn't lubricate the bearings and stuff properly. Same goes for flat towing...short distances are okay, but that's it.

Hmmm. I've towed several older (80's) cars both FWD and old dual range subies, in four flat, or with just rear wheels on the ground, and assumed that because the transmission was in nuetral it wouldn't hurt anything, since there's no viscous coupling to get hurt like the new AWD's. Does the input shaft on the tranny have to be turning to lubricate the tranny? I thought that it was just the gears sitting in the gear oil, with no pumps or anything, so nuetral should be okay, but I've never taken a tranny apart so I honestly don't know. Are auto's and manuals different? Is this lubrication issue also why people say not to coast with the engine in nuetral... I do that all the time unless I need the engine braking.

Zeke

#5 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

Hmmm. I've towed several older (80's) cars both FWD and old dual range subies, in four flat, or with just rear wheels on the ground, and assumed that because the transmission was in nuetral it wouldn't hurt anything, since there's no viscous coupling to get hurt like the new AWD's. Does the input shaft on the tranny have to be turning to lubricate the tranny? I thought that it was just the gears sitting in the gear oil, with no pumps or anything, so nuetral should be okay, but I've never taken a tranny apart so I honestly don't know. Are auto's and manuals different? Is this lubrication issue also why people say not to coast with the engine in nuetral... I do that all the time unless I need the engine braking.

Zeke

It's probably okay for short distances, but yes, the input shaft and countershaft must be spinning in order to fling lubrication onto everything.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:16 PM

Flat bed. Even subaru changed thier procedures and now recomend a flatbed. They used to say put the FWD fuse in and tow with the front wheels off the ground or 4wdN . Now they say flatbed.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users