Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

awd will not engage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mfhyatt

mfhyatt

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Holmes

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

Please can someone help. I have a 1998 subaru awd legacy and the awd will not engage. The only wheel that will engage is the right front.

#2 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

man this has been kicked around forever,heres the most likley causes--fuse in holder[should have a light on dash that says [fwd] if thats not on the fuse is out.2clutch pack worn,3 selonoid bad. heres how mine acts,when front wheels start to spin fairly fast the rear kicks in and moves the car,if it stays ingaged i dont know.

#3 Slegacy96

Slegacy96

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • West Chester

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

Please can someone help. I have a 1998 subaru awd legacy and the awd will not engage. The only wheel that will engage is the right front.

You have it towed recently?

#4 mfhyatt

mfhyatt

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Holmes

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:15 PM

man this has been kicked around forever,heres the most likley causes--fuse in holder[should have a light on dash that says [fwd] if thats not on the fuse is out.2clutch pack worn,3 selonoid bad. heres how mine acts,when front wheels start to spin fairly fast the rear kicks in and moves the car,if it stays ingaged i dont know.

Do you have any idea of how to tell if it is the clutch pack or the selonoid. Or how involved either job is. I suppose I should start with the easiest job. I have been through the fuse phase.

#5 mfhyatt

mfhyatt

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Holmes

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

You have it towed recently?

No the car has never been towed.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,507 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:47 PM

Do you have any idea of how to tell if it is the clutch pack or the selonoid. Or how involved either job is. I suppose I should start with the easiest job. I have been through the fuse phase.

Normally the next step is a tranny flush, but i think you are way past that. When you put the fuse in does the FWD light come on on the dash. When you put the fuse in, from what i remeber, it energizes the solenoid constantly, instead of cycling the solenoid. This energized solenoid turns off the rwd.
Now for the awd to be totally gone, im going to say the clutch pack is shot. The most economical repair is a tranny swap. i know on a 98 OBW the clucth pack installed was going to cost me 1000.00 (luckily a tranny flush fixed my torque bind). i think you are beyond torque bind, to a dead pack.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users