Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 timing belt woes

xyon

Hi,

I have 1985 Leone 1800 turbo, and the left timing belt just broke. I wasn't too concerned 'cause I thought the EA82 engine was not an interference one. But now I have replaced the belts it runs rough and the idle is very lumpy - no road test yet. I have triple checked the pully alignment and checked the ignition timing with a strobe - anyone have any clues as to what is wrong?

Make sure the left one isn't 180 degrees off. You have to rotate the crankshaft a full turn after putting the right one on before lining up the marks for the left one. I neglected this the first time I did it -- ran terrible and stalled after about 20 seconds (what do you expect with basically being turned into a two cylinder engine.... :banghead: Oooops

Zeke

Did you have to adjust the ignition timing when you checked it? If so, then it is the left (driver's side) belt. If not, then that belt is good, and it is the right belt. One tooth off, probably.

It is pretty easy to accidentally move it just a bit when prying the belt onto the crank sprocket. Also, parallax makes it a bit harder to see that one, as the mark on the cam is actually sticking out from the notch on the belt cover. Looking down on it from above, it is harder to line up than the driver's side, that is inset from the cover.

Hi,

We just fixed this exact problem on our EA82 last night.. we had replaced belts and would barely run afterwards..

In the manual it didnt tell us that you have to rotate a full turn after installing the drivers side belt and lining it up..before moving to the passenger side. The folks here on usmb told us you had to rotate in between the belt installations..doing that did the trick!

It runs great now. (I know i am making it sound way simpler than it was.)

See the last couple posts on the "Code 11 on a 1988 GL wagon?" string. We got a lot of good advice on this deal.

Hi,

I have 1985 Leone 1800 turbo, and the left timing belt just broke. I wasn't too concerned 'cause I thought the EA82 engine was not an interference one. But now I have replaced the belts it runs rough and the idle is very lumpy - no road test yet. I have triple checked the pully alignment and checked the ignition timing with a strobe - anyone have any clues as to what is wrong?

I agree with the previous posts regarding the timing or belts being wrong.

Pull the flywheel access cover. Rotate the engine. You'll have the main timing marks, and then you'll also have 3 scribed lines closely together. Line the flywheel up with the center line at the mark.

One cam mark should be pointing straight up.

The other should be pointing straight down.

If you rotate the flywheel 360 degrees, they will swap spots (up points down, down points up).

-=Russ=-

Zeke, you're the man, saved me some serious pain. I owe you a beer if you visit New Zealand. She's running sweet now. Who would have guessed that you don't line up all the marks at the same time. Not me since I've only changed belts on a couple of other engine before.

Thanks to everyone else who replied with the same info!

Cheers

Bruce

Make sure the left one isn't 180 degrees off. You have to rotate the crankshaft a full turn after putting the right one on before lining up the marks for the left one. I neglected this the first time I did it -- ran terrible and stalled after about 20 seconds (what do you expect with basically being turned into a two cylinder engine.... :banghead: Oooops

Zeke

• 2 months later...

YES, after removing the front end!!! I always put the belts on and start it up with the covers off, so I can verify its running correctly. Then button it up. I pack the idler bearings by hand with grease, before putting them back in service. New ones from subaru are a rip off.