Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej20 tt into 96 impreza

toddyp_2004

watch out, there are people here that will tell you its impossible.

i think you should be able to do it, you will need a new ecu and at least the engine wiring harness. you will need better exhaust as well.

as for the people saying it wont fit, i think that the left turbo needs to be moved to fit it in the car, then you will need heat sheilding around the turbos as well. but other tan that, i dont really know cause i havent had a chance to do anything with that engine.

all i can really say is, take your time, dont skimp on the swap and dont cut corners. and on top of all that, good luck, id like to see this done as i cant afford a twin turbo engine of my own.

peace

tim

• 2 weeks later...

yes it can be done, but you will have to make a custom up and downpipe to relocate the second turbo away from the steering shaft thingy, and around the engine crossmember. after you get the ECU, complete vehicle harness, and an intercooler. a new 2.5'' or 3'' exhaust will be needed for this to put out good power with not to many restrictions. take a gander over at nasioc.com, there is tons of info over there to guide you. but, if you wanted to say, scrap the twin turbo and got single turbo, your life would be alot less hecktic.

~Josh~

how much wire splicing would i need to do.....

Short answer, all of it.

everything to make the engine run, the computer happy, and your gauges read will need to be done, if you plan on getting rid of the stock computer for body functions you will also need to integrate the body control functions.

my advice is segregation, you have a body ECU, keep it. just extract the wires from the harness that im sure you have "wink wink" that make the engine run and make everything kosher, im basically repeating what he said. if you mess up the wiring, you might not find out until you try to fire it up, and if both harnesses are linked into each other, that just opens that many more cans of worms. second thought, how about you try out the naturally aspirated EJ20, use the motor you have but just without the turbo components, it has low compression and power relative to what it has now. after you get tired of that, voila, you still have all the turbo stuff. and that gives you time to figure out some R&D for your turbo install, fitting turbo, intercooler, etc, etc. oh and BTW, its not how many turbos you have, its how many tires you have spinning all at once that matters most!!!!

~Josh~+